VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by OfManNotMachine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone,

New to Dos Box and I'm absolutely loving it. I was a bit rusty on my Dos commands, but it's slowly coming back to me.

I normally use my Xbox360 controller on my PC via the wireless adaptor, however, it doesn't seem to work very well with DosBox. It doesn't acknowledge the d-pad at all, only the left analog stick, and games that require you to calibrate the gamepad first don't care much for that analog stick.

I was looking around forusb gamepads without an analog stick assuming this should more than likely solve my problem.

I figured I'd come here and see what game pads you'd all suggset.

Reply 2 of 4, by cfoesch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I took a look at the source code, and actually produced a patch. The problem is that unless you're emulating a Joy Stick Hat in Dos Box, it doesn't read the hat at all, even if you're mapping the hat to keyboard keys.

The same is true for more joystick axes greater than four. Even though all the code is there to map different joystick axes to the 4 emulated axes, and some keyboard commands, the code still limits the input to only what is being emulated.

This is why the XBox360 controller doesn't work right.

Relevant thread here: DosBox fully bindable Joystick Patch

Reply 3 of 4, by OfManNotMachine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey,

This is absolutely awesome that you took the time to make a patch for this issue.

Where do I apply this patch to? Do I just place this file in the DosBox directory in windows or do I have to copy n paste this txt in a certain file?

Reply 4 of 4, by cfoesch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for the late response, the .patch file actually has to be applied to the source code and then compiled. I did put up a .exe I believe, that you can plop into your DOSBox directory, and run like the normal DOSBox that you downloaded, but the config file defaults change. Plus, there are probably some CVS updates that have been rolled in that aren't included in the .exe as well...