VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Dwelve

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

how can i get another dosbox in the folder of my game and a conf file so i can have it start the game up when i click it? i have about 4 games for dos box now and 2 i used a fanmade installer which does what im trying to do.
also is there a way past the no folder with a name bigger than 8 letters?

Reply 1 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

To get another dosbox into another folder... Copy it...
There are easier ways to get where you want to be but you may have to read the readme... 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yes by default but you can read the readme 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 7, by Good Ol' TarviS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There's 2 ways to do this.

1. Make sure your different .conf fines have different names. They can be in the DOSBOX folder, a dedicated CONF folder, your game folder, wherever you want them. Now make a shortcut to DOSBOX.EXE. Right click the shortcut and go to Properties, and add -conf "C:/path/to/the.conf" at the end of the Target field, obviously replacing it with the real path. You can do this for every separate .conf you have. You can rename the shortcut, change the icon, and place it wherever you want.

3. Just use a frontend like DBGL or D-Fend Reloaded, each will let you automatically create a shortcut like in option 1.

Reply 6 of 7, by Good Ol' TarviS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dwelve wrote:

thanks thats really helpful also how do i get past where it has to have 8 or less letters and no spaces?

You don't. That's a DOS limitation, and unless you want to mess with installing MS-DOS, is no big deal anyhow.