VOGONS

Common searches

Legality

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 25 of 34, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Vogons wrote:

That's why I used "may still be" rather than "is", and more importantly, don't forget Sony actually won (at some point) with injunction and all. It wasn't till Connectix was already fried that they were actually granted the right to continue developing and selling VGS, and that was over a decade ago, when piracy wasn't as much as problem as it is today so laws tended to be a lil more relaxed on the subject. Not a single copyright problem with DosBox as far as I know, but emulation in general can be a slippery slope.

So Sony did not win after all... Sure anybody can sue anybody over anything, that doesn't make anything illegal. It's unfortunate when someone like Sony sues you but even today they rather settle their big beef with Geohot outside of court than risk a lengthy battle in court...

Reply 27 of 34, by Barry_Purplelips

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:
Vogons wrote:

That's why I used "may still be" rather than "is", and more importantly, don't forget Sony actually won (at some point) with injunction and all. It wasn't till Connectix was already fried that they were actually granted the right to continue developing and selling VGS, and that was over a decade ago, when piracy wasn't as much as problem as it is today so laws tended to be a lil more relaxed on the subject. Not a single copyright problem with DosBox as far as I know, but emulation in general can be a slippery slope.

So Sony did not win after all... Sure anybody can sue anybody over anything, that doesn't make anything illegal. It's unfortunate when someone like Sony sues you but even today they rather settle their big beef with Geohot outside of court than risk a lengthy battle in court...

Action was in fact taken against Connectix and they lost money to that, it didn't just die off at the "suing" stage. Bottom line, it's mostly safe, but you never know when something's going to come back and bite you in the ass. You can't take enough precautions.

Reply 29 of 34, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Vogons wrote:
Dominus wrote:
Vogons wrote:

Action was in fact taken against Connectix and they lost money to that, it didn't just die off at the "suing" stage. Bottom line, it's mostly safe, but you never know when something's going to come back and bite you in the ass. You can't take enough precautions.

Yeah I worded it wrong, the "even today" should have been just "today". That Sony sued Connectix isn't something I dispute and when someone as large as Sony sues you, you lose money, a lot of it, even if you win the case in the end. Like I said, anyone can sue anyone over anything.

Reply 31 of 34, by catchaserguns

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If Macintosh has a program that emulates a PC so you can run windows on a mac. Ergo you can have a dos emulator. Every PC ever made had a form of dos. I wonder if Apple has to pay royalties to Microsoft because of that emulator. (The answer is) probably not because the emulator emulates the machine itself. You still have to install Windows. So many different computers had their own form of dos back in the 80s its pitiful. As long as Dosbox uses code that is Public domain or some other freeware license its totally legal. I wonder if Microsoft ever contacted the creators of Dosbox. Iwilling to bet they probably already have and haven't made a fuss so we are safe on that.

Reply 32 of 34, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Why would MS contact Dosbox devs? You people are not reading what has been written here.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper