VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by y2k se

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm trying to use my Microsoft SideWinder Force Feedback steering wheel in DOSBox 0.74 to play Papyrus' IndyCar Racing and NASCAR Racing.

Windows 7 sees this as a 3-axis, 8-button joystick, with axis 1 being the steering wheel, axis 2 the gas pedal and axis 3 the brake pedal. All three axes respond correctly within the Windows game controller screen. When I load up the games in DOSBox and enter each game's calibration, the steering wheel calibrates to joystick 1, axis 1 and the gas pedal to joystick 1, axis 2. I cannot get the brake pedal to calibrate. When I enter the mapper, pressing the brake pedal causes no binding to happen. Its as if the brake pedal does not exist to DOSBox.

So far, I've tried:
--Each of the joysticktype options in the configuration file
--Manually assigning axis to jaxis_1_0 in the mapper configuration file.
--A patched executable found in this thread
--Google searches for a couple hours

Any other suggestions?

Reply 1 of 2, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

delete the mapper file and make sure it is not loadein in the dosbox console window.

joysticktype ch or fcs may work. (try ch first as fcs is more complicated so move to fcs only if ch works).
so first try assigning letters to each axis to check whether you can type by moving axes in the dosbox command line. (assign to all four axes as you don't know which one is the third in dosbox, later you will be able to swap them in .conf for fcs, as fcs uses only 3 axes)

Reply 2 of 2, by y2k se

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That didn't work. It may be a problem with the Windows device driver; I got hold of a Logitech Dual Action game pad (4 axis, 12 buttons and 1 hat) and movement of all axes is detected when in the keymapper.

Tualatin Celeron 1.4 + Powerleap PL-IP3/T, ASUS P2B, 512 MB RAM, GeForce 4 Ti 4200, Voodoo2 SLI, AWE64, 32GB IDE SSD, Dell 2001FP