VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by gcen82a

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm going to build a new custom computer in next few months. I like to play games off gog and dosbox to play old games. My question is what newer soundcards would you suggest?

HT Omega eclaro pci-e soundcard has best 7 drivers but, had no idea if it would play sound in dosbox

What newer soundblaster card would you recommend?

Reply 1 of 11, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it works in Windows, it will work in DOSBox.

I wouldn't recommend any sound card for DOSBox: DOS sound usually was not high fidelity, so any sound quality would be wasted. Maybe, you are looking for a sound card with low CPU use, but...

In any case, I've got an Asus Xonar DS. It works in Windows XP, 7 and Linux, and it si well rounded. Maybe it is not the best sounding card, or the fastest, but for the price is a very good option.

Avoid at all costs Creative sound cards; because their compatibility with newer operating systems is always poor. SB Live! and Audigy lost some capabilities in Windows Vista (capabilities that were present in Windows XP drivers), and I doubt that they'll get drivers for Windows 8.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 2 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

get whatever card you like, if it works in win7 it will work in dosbox (windows sees it as another (windows)application that uses sound, there is no special requirements of drivers)

@Zup:
creative cards are just fine, if one is building a new computer with an ancient card like the live/audigy (the audigy was released a decade ago and live is from ~1998 IIRC) then you are asking for trouble IMHO , anything current from creative is fine

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 11, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well, there was the case where Creative bann unofficial's Improved Vista's Drivers that would bring features that exist in winXP drivers, but lost/unsuported in official Vista Drivers, for the very same soundcard.

Its cause an uproar back then.

-fffuuu

Reply 5 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gcen82a wrote:

I'm going to build a new custom computer in next few months. I like to play games off gog and dosbox to play old games. My question is what newer soundcards would you suggest?

You are aware that the vast majority of motherboards these days have onboard sound, right?

Many years ago onboard sound was in some ways inferior (partly because official DOS support was often rather sketchy), but it is really quite acceptable nowadays.

Reply 9 of 11, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Overall sound quality; drivers with an EQ that didn't compress portions of the audio when certain frequencies were reached (tested on mine, and two others with the same chip and a range of driver versions, this was the biggest annoyance); ability to use Soundfonts (could be fixed with a software solution for other cards, though); Alchemy (granted, there's a solution for realtek cards too...but didn't work all that well); I process and create audio sometimes and the X-Fi offers lower latency; what I sometimes liked better about that ALC was the audio matrix ("speaker fill"). Creative's greatest failure has been the drivers...but they have smoothed them out with the latest betas; and some issue I didn't really suffer about nvidia sli chipsets (mine had an sli chipset and didn't really suffer from that crackling issue).

Reply 10 of 11, by Teppic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would personally go for a card that can handle latency low enough to lower the blocksize to at least 256. I think any of the Creative X-Fi cards can do this. They're also generally recommended for games.

Stay away from built in sound cards for motherboards. I've heard people claiming they are better now, but in my experience they still sound pretty horrible. (and has high latency)

My AdLib recordings

Reply 11 of 11, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Yeah Realtek HD audio ALC888 is excellent from what i've heard.

Aye, the integrated stuff is good enough to use for most things, especially something like DOSBox that only use stereo sound. I use integrated audio on my gaming computer and I have no complaints.

No games ever given me a high latency issue on the gaming computer. The only time I suffered from high latency was when I decided to install Cakewalk on it "just for fun" to check things out.

But that's kinda what I expected, and I do have a dedicated studio computer with a M-Audio card that I normally use to compose music anyway, so it's hardly an issue. At least not for me 😜

So yeah, I reckon that dedicated soundcards are a waste of money for most people these days.