VOGONS

Common searches

Dosbox 0.75?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by nikiniki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just read this thread: Conquest (1983) - Illegal Unhandled Interrupt

Dosbox 0.75 is mentioned. I checked on the dosbox website. The last version is still 0.74.

Is Dosbox 0.75 available or is it a mistake typo?

Reply 3 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Don't you know the standard answer to that question and that developers hate that question?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 15, by lahmbi5678

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I know, I've read it in some older posts. Something like "for every question there will be an additional delay. One more question, and there will be no dessert for all". Reminds me to my kindergarden days. Man, I really disapprove that pedagogical approach. I'm not asking for a specific release date, just something like "next spring".

If I'd like to be childish, I'd post something like:
When will be the next release?
... (let's say a thousand times)

This would hurt me more then you 😉 Yes, really.

Reply 5 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

if you know the answer why play the child and ask anyway? The reason developers hate this answer, especially in open source, is that they can't tell and giving even a "next spring" puts up pressure that is not welcomed. Because once spring is over the questions "Spring is over, where is the version blabla?" will pile up. The best you can hope for is "Spring or after spring" which can be anytime in the following years, or even tomorrow.
So you write you are over your kindergarden days, don't ask.
Or be clever and use the SVN.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

There is only one SVN but a couple of builts of the SVN. Go by the date, probably the emucr, especially since it is a straight compile of the svn. Yhkwong adds a couple of things.
If you are in OSX take my built. Afaik, no one else offers them for OSX...

Reply 8 of 15, by ovvldc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How about another approach: What are the features that the developers envisage for DOSBox 0.75 and how far along to completion do you estimate those features are?

I am not interested in when it will be released. As the saying goes; the first 90% of the work takes the first 90% of the time, and the last 10% of the work takes the other 90% of the time. However, I am curious to know how far coders feel they have come.

Also, I recall reading long ago that the 1.0 release would need better documentation, not necessarily more code. Is that (still) true?

Reply 9 of 15, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
ovvldc wrote:

Also, I recall reading long ago that the 1.0 release would need better documentation, not necessarily more code. Is that (still) true?

No.

And for which features and in which state they are.
That is not something I'd like to be revealed due to various reasons.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!