VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Mr.Frank

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having a problem getting this to correctly identify the CD-ROM

I've wrecked my head over it for the last two days and still see no progress. The only good news is that, I've figured out that NONE of the permutations(of command parameters) seem to work.

I installed it correctly. (I'm able to get to the game menu)
I can mount correctly. (I'm able to navigate to the folders)

What doesn't works is just this: the CD-ROM

(And all kinds of them. Real, Virtual. Both)

I scoured the forums and apparently what I gather is that only a few people play this. So there isn't much info to look into. Even here on this forum the only thread that I managed to dig out was this

GT Racing 97 - Sound Setup

And in that too the user had no gameplay issues.

Which leads me to think either I'm stuck with a bad copy OR I'm unable to correctly configure DOSBox (I'm hoping the latter)

A brief description of my situation is this,

1.Created a folder "Oldskool" on the drive "D:\"
2.Extracted the BIN/CUE image file to another location.
3.Mounted the path "D:\Oldskool\" as root(C:\) directory
4.Mounted the image file (other location) onto "D:\" (on DOSBox)
5.Installed
6.Ran the game
7.Ended up with this

lMqRxgu.png

Now just so that you should know, these were the commands I used, here have a look

mount C "D:\Oldskool\" imgmount D "D:\Oldskool\gt97.cue" -t cdrom C:\ cd gt97 gtracing.exe […]
Show full quote

mount C "D:\Oldskool\"
imgmount D "D:\Oldskool\gt97.cue" -t cdrom
C:\
cd gt97
gtracing.exe

I know I'm using the -cdrom parameter but -iso returns an identical result so...I hope you see how strange the problem is.

Also, I read somewhere over at GoG.com that the latest version of DOSBox fixes some CDROM emulation for GT Racing 97 and Alpha Storm ?
http://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/update_dosbo … latest_versions

My system comfiguration, if that matters, is as follows

f8F7OLQ.png

Reply 2 of 8, by Mr.Frank

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll give this a try as well

Update: No. This too, didn't work. I don't think converting would make that of a difference if there's a fault with the source to begin with.

Here's code just for reference

mount C "D:\Oldskool\"
mount D "M:\" -t cdrom
C:\
cd gt97
gtracing

Reply 5 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you make sure that the label of the disc was used in the image? Some games of the era just looked for that. Does it work if you mount the disc itself with the label specified?

Also, since this is a DOSBox question and not a Windows game issue perhaps a mod can move it to the DOSBox forum.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 8 of 8, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The game has multiple CD checks. There was an issue in DOSBox regarding one of the checks, but it is fixed in 0.74.

The check that seems to cause the most trouble is the start time and length of the audio tracks. Some imaging tools do not handle pregap correctly, causing enough shift in the track times to cause failure of the audio track check. If you are using a bin/cue image with even slightly incorrect track times (mounted directly in DOSBox or some virtual drive like Daemon Tools makes no difference), or a cd-r disc burned from such an image, the check will fail.

This is the cue sheet of a working bin/cue pair:

FILE "GT97.BIN" BINARY
TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
INDEX 01 00:00:00
TRACK 02 AUDIO
PREGAP 00:02:00
INDEX 01 13:39:01
TRACK 03 AUDIO
INDEX 01 19:07:23
TRACK 04 AUDIO
INDEX 01 23:24:17
TRACK 05 AUDIO
INDEX 01 29:21:60
TRACK 06 AUDIO
INDEX 01 35:03:71
TRACK 07 AUDIO
INDEX 01 40:34:48
TRACK 08 AUDIO
INDEX 01 44:45:66
TRACK 09 AUDIO
INDEX 01 49:01:12
TRACK 10 AUDIO
INDEX 01 53:19:62

Using this cue won't necessarily satisfy the audio track check in your case. You might have a different version of the game, or the length of the last track may be off because the size of your bin file is not correct.