VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by comteck123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I would like to ask if there is a way to have save states in DOSBox? because I would like to play an old game which unfortunately doesn't have saves.

The Shadow Warrior Mod that makes weapons O.P., plus adds more ammo: My First Shadow Warrior mod.

Reply 1 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not with the official build of dosbox. Try yhkwong's builds which includes the save state patch.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 13, by comteck123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It does work but limited to 200mb Ram and gets erased when it's full. No HD stored snapshots though.

The Shadow Warrior Mod that makes weapons O.P., plus adds more ammo: My First Shadow Warrior mod.

Reply 3 of 13, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
comteck123 wrote:

It does work but limited to 200mb Ram and gets erased when it's full. No HD stored snapshots though.

What the heck is using 200MB or more of RAM in DOS? There should be few things that can even see more than 64MB. Refer:

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 5 of 13, by comteck123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolano wrote:
What the heck is using 200MB or more of RAM in DOS? There should be few things that can even see more than 64MB. Refer: […]
Show full quote
comteck123 wrote:

What the heck is using 200MB or more of RAM in DOS? There should be few things that can even see more than 64MB. Refer:

I was talking about the 200MB ram limitation of yhkwong's Save State. In other words if you allocated more than 200MB of ram in DOSBox, Save State will not work.

Reply 6 of 13, by comteck123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
comteck123 wrote:
kolano wrote:
What the heck is using 200MB or more of RAM in DOS? There should be few things that can even see more than 64MB. Refer: […]
Show full quote
comteck123 wrote:

I was talking about the 200MB ram limitation of yhkwong's Save State. In other words if you allocated more than 200MB of ram in DOSBox, Save State will not work.

Nope the reason I want save states because I was playing the Blood Alpha. Which Doesn't have saves ingame.

Reply 7 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Why need mire than 64MB?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 10 of 13, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I forget the memory limit of DOS, but wasn't Win9x only 128MB? Why add more than can possibly be used?

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 11 of 13, by comteck123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:

I forget the memory limit of DOS, but wasn't Win9x only 128MB? Why add more than can possibly be used?

Win9x can use more than 1GB of ram I think. Well, Maybe except for ME.

Reply 12 of 13, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
comteck123 wrote:

Save states plus the SVN I use can only handle 200mb for SS.

Right, because there is no reason for it to support that much. As discussed above DOS can generally only see a max of ~64MB of RAM so setting it to >200MB is completely pointless. Blood Alpha is a DOS game, so just set your RAM setting down to 64MB and stop worrying about this.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 13 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Exactly. You want to play a dos game and use the save state thing, don't set it to more than 64MB. Setting it to even less is probably even more sensible.

Problem solved.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper