VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by TerminusEst77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I don't know if my problem is specifically DOSBox/Dfend Reloaded related or not, but I want to get some help via this forum so I can , if not solve the problem, at least be able to confidently discount DosBox/Dfend Reloaded as the source of the problem.

I recently downloaded and installed the current version of Dfend Reloaded and have had success with all the games I've tried on it so far (like Warcraft II and Flight of the Intruder).

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit with a NVIDIA GeForce GTx 760 GPU; via a HDMI cable I'm running both Visual and Sound to my Kogan HD TV and both have been working find for these DOS games.

Recently, I picked up and installed the War of the World's RTS game - I followed the directions given in this post ( http://www.thewaroftheworlds.com/messageboard … MessageID=28465 ) in order to enable the in game music to be played.

However, after I have done this, I found that I can no longer play the sound for *any* of the DOS games through the HDMI/Kogan TV - interestingly enough, though, I **can** still get the sound to play via plugging in a set of headphones through the normal headphone jacks.

I suspect that the "_inmm.dll Ver. 2.38" program has either rewritten or corrupted a Registry File, or it has somehow disabled something *within* DOSBox, preventing it from recognising the existing of the Audio/HDMI connection.

Therefore, to eliminate DOSBox/Dfend as a possible issue, can anyone advise of any diagnostic tests or config file edits I can run to either re-establish the Audio/HDMI connection or see if something within DOSBox has been corrupted and needs to be replaced.

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 2, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you apply _inmm.dll to DosBox.exe? All that "scary" (geez) program does is patch some calls to some MCI audio CD reading routines inside an .exe or a .dll to use its own server instead of the Windows facilities. DosBox doesn't need that program (CD audio works just fine), it's only for Windows games (useful for...say...Heretic II, Deathtrap Dungeon or Jedi Knight). If you erroneously patched DosBox (though I'm not sure if it would patch it: _inmm looks for some specific stuff)...reinstall it. If you didn't or if reinstall doesn't work then you inadvertently changed something else in your system (your problem is probably unrelated to either _inmm or DosBox: neither change how your Windows is configured, DosBox doesn't write crap to your registry or any other "niceties" and _inmm just writes it's own configuration and uninstall information, SDL should output sound to whatever you have set as your primary sound output, so check that (check the Windows help if you don't know how)...D-Fend *should* have nothing to do with it as it's just a front end, but check your game configs if you messed with them).
*If* that War of the Worlds game is a DOS game (which I don't think it is) I recommend creating a .cue/.bin pair from your original CD and mounting that image in DosBox. Read the manual.

Reply 2 of 2, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

While _inmm.dll is a great way to get disc-less play for some Windows games, there is no reason to use _inmm.dll on a DOS game. Ripping the audio from your CD and mounting them in DOSBox with a cue sheet is the way to go. Reinstall DOSBox and do what bloodbat recommended.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers