VOGONS

Common searches

Scanlines

Topic actions

First post, by uniracers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When using the tv2x, tv3x, scan2x, or scan3x scalers for 320x200 games, if I set aspect = true, the scanlines are not even. If I set aspect = false, it looks fine. I assuming this has something to with the way things are scaled. Is there any way get even scanlines with the corrected aspect ratio?

Reply 1 of 4, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
uniracers wrote:

When using the tv2x, tv3x, scan2x, or scan3x scalers for 320x200 games, if I set aspect = true, the scanlines are not even. If I set aspect = false, it looks fine. I assuming this has something to with the way things are scaled. Is there any way get even scanlines with the corrected aspect ratio?

Try higher resolution and higher multiplicator - this will reduce the effect of aspect correction. To get fully correct image of 320x200 you need not aspect correction by dosbox, but a video mode wich has x and y multiple to 320x200 like 640x400 for example, - such were possible on CRT and maybe will look good on LCD with small dots (<=0.27 mm). Use output=surface then.

Last edited by Tertz on 2015-05-19, 23:18. Edited 1 time in total.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 2 of 4, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

aspect=true and a high res like 1280x960 helps and so does a smooth video output like opengl, direct3d and ddraw (on some cards), which can help against the stretch artifacts.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 4, by TeddyTheBear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You can also try changing the fullscreen resolution to match the scaled resolution and let the GPU or monitor hardware handle scaling to higher resolutions from there. You might have to create custom resolutions in the GPU driver.
However I would first recommend trying the DAUM builds that have support for shader scalers.

Reply 4 of 4, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TeddyTheBear wrote:

You can also try changing the fullscreen resolution to match the scaled resolution and let the GPU or monitor hardware handle scaling to higher resolutions from there.

It's similar to what I've said above. But monitor should show video mode as is, not GPU deal with it. So aspect=true will result in distortions, like blurriness for example.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide