VOGONS

Common searches

Weird Win 3.1 problem

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by jez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've managed to install my Windows 3.1 in DOSBox. I've also installed the S3 graphics drivers linked to on this site. I went into Windows Setup and have tried setting the display to various options for the S3, such as "S3 864 1.41B5 1280x1024 256 colors SF". Nearly everything works fine, however I have a weird problem. When I select any file dialog (like Notepad | File | Open), DOSBox Daum just locks up. Anyone come across this problem before?

== Jez ==

Reply 2 of 12, by ppgrainbow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The ykhwong 2015-01-25 SVN build of DOSBox has been broken and until we get a response from ykhwong, any issues are NOT going to be addressed.

To get around this issue:
1. Stick with the official release of DOSBox 0.74, which has not be updated in over 5 years.
2. Use an older ykhwong SVN build.
3. Use a different emulated graphics card such as the Tseng ET4000.
4. Use a generic SVGA driver for Windows 3.1.

Reply 3 of 12, by jez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ppgrainbow wrote:

The ykhwong 2015-01-25 SVN build of DOSBox has been broken and until we get a response from ykhwong, any issues are NOT going to be addressed.

Can you blame people for using other builds though when the main one has been basically abandoned?

To get around this issue:
1. Stick with the official release of DOSBox 0.74, which has not be updated in over 5 years.

I tried it. It breaks just the same.

2. Use an older ykhwong SVN build.

I suspect they would all break just the same.

3. Use a different emulated graphics card such as the Tseng ET4000.
4. Use a generic SVGA driver for Windows 3.1.

Neither of these will do 1280x1024 in 256 color mode unfortunately.

== Jez ==

Reply 4 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOSBox hasn't been abandoned. It is continuously updated. The only issue is that the binaries provided for download are old.

You can either download the code and compile a binary or download an already compiled binary from Emucr.

Don't suspect anythng especially when you are using a DOSBox build no where near official using a mismash of dozens of patches.

http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/SVN_Builds

Use 0.74 and the latest SVN, try your issue and come back here and report it.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 12, by jez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:
DOSBox hasn't been abandoned. It is continuously updated. The only issue is that the binaries provided for download are old. […]
Show full quote

DOSBox hasn't been abandoned. It is continuously updated. The only issue is that the binaries provided for download are old.

You can either download the code and compile a binary or download an already compiled binary from Emucr.

Don't suspect anythng especially when you are using a DOSBox build no where near official using a mismash of dozens of patches.

http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/SVN_Builds

Use 0.74 and the latest SVN, try your issue and come back here and report it.

Anyway, I tried it with Emucr SVN r3935 build, and.... I get exactly the same problem.

== Jez ==

Reply 8 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
jez wrote:

So why on Earth aren't they releasing new official binaries?

Use the search it has been discussed a thousand times or so...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 10 of 12, by ppgrainbow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It hasn't been abanonded, it is however, continously being updated via SVN release. With the generic SVGA driver, you can only get up to 1024 x 768 @ 256 colours. With the S3 1.70.04 driver, you can actually get up to 1600 x 1200 @ 256 colours, but it requires at least 4 MB display memory in order to achieve it.

We're most likely gonna have to wait until sometime early next year when ykhwong updates its DOSBox build.

Reply 11 of 12, by jez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:
jez wrote:

So why on Earth aren't they releasing new official binaries?

Use the search it has been discussed a thousand times or so...

From what I can tell the answer seems to be "We can't be bothered to release another official build. Ever. Because we're too lazy. Use the Daum build unless you have a problem in which case we'll tell you the Daum build is broken and you shouldn't be using it. Good day."

Sorry to be blunt but I thought I'd save people the effort of searching through a million threads of Qbix et al. bullshitting people along the lines of "it's done when it's done". Don't hold your breath.

== Jez ==

Reply 12 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Your manners are seriously lacking...
Do you really think that everytime someone with an inflated ego or body part mouths off his feeling of entitlement, the devs are more eager to please you people?
Thread closed...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper