VOGONS

Common searches

Help loading fakeshar.com

Topic actions

First post, by NapoleonDynamite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay so I have windows 3.1 installed in dosbox and I want to try installing a game but it requires a share file to be installed which I don't have. So is there a way I could get one or do I have to install fakeshar? If so then how do I install it? Thanks.

Reply 1 of 20, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Which game needs share.exe (or share)?
You can try fakeshare but it is .... fake... If the game needs share functions it might crash and cause data corruption when run with fakeshare.
You just run fakeshare before doing anything else...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 20, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

vDos has support for share, DOSBox does not. http://sourceforge.net/projects/vdos/

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 20, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I think vDos omits graphics capability, so not that useful for running Win3. There is a link to the fakeshare TSR program in the Win3 guide in the guides section of the forum, but if the game still complains with it resident then the faking isn't sufficient. Note that Windows For Workgroups 3.11 includes a file sharing VxD (VSHARE.386) as part of its networking support that might be effective in appeasing the game and/or its installer, but of course if you actually try to use some kind of LAN multiplayer option in the game then don't expect that to work correctly.

Reply 7 of 20, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Loading vshare.386 doesn't work as it can't function (same as share.exe). But AFAIR, loading fakeshare before starting Windows 3.x makes most programs be fine (MS Office for example). I don't know if I needed vshare.386 though in addition...

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 20, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

VSHARE.386 is a VxD version of SHARE.EXE, and you don't need both. However, the point here is not about what functions correctly -- I think the point has been fairly driven home by now that file sharing can't function correctly -- the point is getting the game in question to at least shut up about file sharing, and VSHARE.386 can do that much; or at least I've seen it do so for a different game, but it may be academic because the OP doesn't seem to be using WfW. 😉

Reply 9 of 20, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

What I meant with functioning is that MS Office wouldn't run with vshare.386 loaded, only with fakeshare. I guess programs like MS Office stuff do more testing than just look whether vshare.386 is loaded...

Reply 11 of 20, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

same as before

Reply 12 of 20, by NapoleonDynamite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I can actually now install windows 16bit/32bit games? Cause I also have star trek pinball I would like to run since it wont work using wine on my mac or in 3.1 windows.

Reply 13 of 20, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

No. With Windows 3.x installed in Dosbox you can play 16bit Windows games and very early 32bit Windows games.

Reply 16 of 20, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I need to fix all these links. Dropbox dropped its public folder and every link is now broken ;(

Reply 17 of 20, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dominus wrote:

I need to fix all these links. Dropbox dropped its public folder and every link is now broken ;(

Which is why I wish people would just attach files like that here instead of using a download service.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 18 of 20, by Bluescreen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Ok. When you have the time to do so - please start with the link for fakeshar 😉

Thanks

Reply 19 of 20, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello, where can i obtain fakeshar.zip?

edit: I have found a similar program, NOSHARE.COM, which serves the same purpose. I will attach it here.

Attachments

• Filename
    NOSHARE.ZIP
    File size
    2.19 KiB
    Downloads
    848 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Is this too much voodoo?