VOGONS

Common searches

Dosbox crashes Nvidia Display Driver

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Great0ldOne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

every time I try to run Dosbox, it crashes and I get a message about Nvidia Display Driver (the latest version, currently 364.51, but this happened with at least the two previous versions too) "stopped responding and was successfully recovered". This happens when just running Dosbox itself, or when trying to directly run a game that uses Dosbox - I tried the GOG versions of Lands of Lore 1, Shadow of the Comet, Afterlife and Realms of the Haunting, always the same thing - changing the graphics mode to any of the available options (overlay,surface, ddraw, d3d, OpenGL, OpenGlnb) does not make a difference, it always crashes with the same message.

I played the GOG version of Albion just before Christmas without any problems. I haven't changed anything in my PC since then other than updating the GPU drivers (uninstalling the previous version with DDU and cleanly installing the new version), and I do not know when exactly the problem appeared since I did not use DosBox for about 3 months - so to recap, Dosbox was working fine in December 2015, and it isn't in March 2016. I would greatly appreciate any help.

My specs

Case: Corsair 230T Rebel Orange
PSU: Seasonic G-650
CPU: Intel i5-4690K o/c @4.4Ghz
CPU Cooler: Scythe Kotetsu
GPU: EVGA Geforce 980 SuperClocked
Soundcard: Soundblaster Z
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-SLI
RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 2400Mhz/C11
SSD: Crucial M500 240GB
HDD1: Western Digital Caviar Black 1.0TB
HDD2: Seagate Desktop 4.0TB

Reply 2 of 9, by Great0ldOne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I'd like to report that the newest driver, 364.72 WHQL seems to have mostly solved the problem: I still get an "nvidia driver has stopped responding and was successfully recovered" as soon as I launch Dosbox, but now Dosbox does not crash, so I can simply ignore the message and play my games without any problems at all. Strange behaviour...

Reply 3 of 9, by BurntSoul

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all,

More insight into the issue: It seems to be GeForce Experience. Read on.

Just to confirm with GreatOldOne, the same issue happens with me as well with this driver version. The reason for the issue seems to come from the GeForce Experience Overlay. At least this is what is happening to me.

Example: I set the FPS counter set up inside GeForce Experience to display when I run a game. When I run a DOSBOX game (or just DOSBOX itself), the "Nvidia Display Driver stopped responding and was successfully recovered" error comes up at least once. After this the game runs.

However, when I disable the FPS counter overlay or close GeForce Experience entirely, I don't get the message anymore.

Hope this Helps!

Reply 4 of 9, by gekiere

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BurntSoul wrote:
Hello all, […]
Show full quote

Hello all,

More insight into the issue: It seems to be GeForce Experience. Read on.

Just to confirm with GreatOldOne, the same issue happens with me as well with this driver version. The reason for the issue seems to come from the GeForce Experience Overlay. At least this is what is happening to me.

Example: I set the FPS counter set up inside GeForce Experience to display when I run a game. When I run a DOSBOX game (or just DOSBOX itself), the "Nvidia Display Driver stopped responding and was successfully recovered" error comes up at least once. After this the game runs.

However, when I disable the FPS counter overlay or close GeForce Experience entirely, I don't get the message anymore.

Hope this Helps!

It absolutely helps. Disabling the overlay fixed the issue for me with GOG dosbox games under windows 10, NVIDIA driver 368.22 and Geforce Experience 2.11.3.5
Thanks!!