VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by TonyIndy96

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. Am just starting with DOSBox. Haven't used MS DOS for many years. My memory is that to read a txt file that is bigger than the monitor screen (so you have to scroll to read it) like readme.txt that comes with some of my old games, you can use a command like type readme.txt | more. But this isn't working for me & I can't read the readme.txt file. Can you please let me know how I can do this
Thanks, Tony

Reply 2 of 10, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The problem is the lack of support for piping. You can add the FreeDOS MORE.EXE to your system but it still won't work because of this. I understand there are no plans to add piping support to the project.

You can use a generic DOS editor to view text files in DOSBox. The default MS-DOS editor works fine. You can get it (EDIT.COM) off any 32-bit installation of Windows.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 4 of 10, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

list.com aka t.com 😉 by vernon buerg. get it. use it. love it.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 5 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote:

The problem is the lack of support for piping. You can add the FreeDOS MORE.EXE to your system but it still won't work because of this. I understand there are no plans to add piping support to the project.

If I'm not mistaken, "more <filename>" will display the text of <filename> and does not require piping.

Reply 6 of 10, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's also the old PC Magazine utility BROWSE.COM by Charles Petzold

How to view long command usage pages though? You can't use CMD.EXE /? | MORE

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 10 of 10, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A trick you can use to read smaller files is to get MODE.COM from FreeDOS and enable 50-line mode with MODE CON LINES=50. It'll double the height of the screen.

Is this too much voodoo?