VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Cschneider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can i use a config.sys within DOSBOX. I have a couple of drives I need to load and it has to be done in the config.sys file but I cannot find anywhere that shows a config.sys file to use within the docs of DosBox.

Reply 1 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You do not load drives via config.sys in Dosbox. And you cannot load a config.sys in Dosbox.
There is a way to load config.sys elements via some program, I think ctload, but almost everything won't work in Dosbox.
You can boot a dos image in Dosbox which allows you to use a config.sys, though. See the guides.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 7, by Cschneider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

You do not load drives via config.sys in Dosbox. And you cannot load a config.sys in Dosbox.
There is a way to load config.sys elements via some program, I think ctload, but almost everything won't work in Dosbox.
You can boot a dos image in Dosbox which allows you to use a config.sys, though. See the guides.

if i can use a dosimage in dosbox, will the DosBox command still work like MOUNT, Rescan etc?

Reply 5 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

No, that's the problem when you "boot" in Dosbox ;(

But let's begin with which drivers you want to load and what the purpose of those are.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 7, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

DOSBox has ANSI emulation as part of its DOS emulation, so you don't need to load a driver for that unless you decide to boot real DOS. If X00.SYS is a FOSSIL driver, you can instead use a TSR that is loaded at the command prompt: http://www.digsys.se/Obsolete/ADF.aspx

You can boot a hard disk image with real DOS and load the drivers you want in CONFIG.SYS, but if you're going to go that far for some BBS programs then there isn't much reason to use DOSBox over any other VM.