VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Nate8thcvi

User metadata

Folks,

I have installed DOSBOX 0.61 and I have it working relatively well. I also have the D-Fend front end working. However, I seem to be having problems with the sound of the two games I use.

Aces of the Deep (not Command Aces..., the original)
After installing AOD, and running Soundset (through D-Fend), the program detected the sound card: Sound Blaster, DMA 1, IRQ 7, PORT 220h. The test sound and music stuttered, but hey, there was something. So the settings were saved without any problems, but when I launched the game, there was nothing. (And yes, I made sure the in-game settings said that they were on.)

Silent Hunter I (not the Commander's Edition)
I installed SH without problems. I run setsound, again through D-Fend, and it picks up the digital audio as "Creative Labs Sound Blaster or 100% Compatible". The configuration is successful, and so I launch the game. I hear the opening movie music, and, after going to the "Interviews" page, I can hear each of the veteran sub commanders' interviews just fine. However, like AOD, I get absolutely no music or sounds in the actual game (the in-game settings were all on for this, too).

Any ideas what this could be? Does SoundBlaster Audigy (my soundcard) have problems with DOSBOX? Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks so much!

Nate

Dell Dimension 8300
Windows XP Home
Intel Pentium 4, 2.8 gHz
512 MB RAM
DirectX 9.0b
RADEON ATI 9800 PRO
SoundBlaster Audigy

Reply 2 of 8, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

No, it has nothing to do with SB Audigy. DOSBOX uses soundcard as any other Windows programs. So if you have sound in Windows, it is ok for DOSBOX. It does not care whether it is Audigy or some onboard card...

These problems are caused either by wrong sound configuration in games or some bugs in DOSBOX (I did not test any of them).

Mirek

Reply 4 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous wrote:

I have this same problem in Fallout. However, my problem is more attuned to badly garbled, corrupted music. For most dos games sound is fine. Any suggestions on how to get Fallout to work would be appreciated.

Thx,

Dev 😁

Fallout has two executables, one for ms-dos and one for windows. If you are using WinXP, use the windows one, and make sure w98 compatibility mode is enabled. It should work just fine.

Reply 5 of 8, by teamster1975

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not that this'll be much help, but I've never had any problems using an Audigy 1 and an Audigy 2ZS with Dosbox (0.58,0.60 & 0.61)
The only thing that did cause issues was a CPU cooling program for Athlon's, I just had to disable the Coolbit option when using Dosbox.

Reply 6 of 8, by Paradox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have sound problems (stuttering) asociated with my CPU cycles but I don't think it is my Audigy 2. If I just mess with CPU cycles I can find a good amount for whatever game I am playing. Also try upping the blocksize that helped my in the Crusaders a whole lot.