VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ped7g

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here I am, 9 years later from this thread: Increase memory of a video card in Dos Box , working on some 256 demo scene intro, and I would love to use 1024x768x32 ... and will not happen.
(actually took me quite few minutes to realize there's no way and I really have only 2MB available in dosbox 0.74)

It would be nice touch to have this configurable in .conf file, to put 4MB or 8MB of RAM into that S3 Trio, but I didn't check the source code how much work it requires to support 4MB and additional VESA modes, maybe it's not that easy.

Anyway if you ever decide to work on this, I will appreciate it. 😀

--
it's not you, it's me.

Reply 1 of 5, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AMOK comes to mind, a dos game with 16bit colors. Ok it is selectable, that you can use a 256color mode.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 2 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not sure where the 2MB limit originally comes from, but at least a real Trio64v+ supports 4MB (not sure about Trio32/64).
MS Virtual PC 2007, does, too. Its VM additions also ships with VGA drivers to support up to 16MB.
There's even a section in the *´.vmc virtual machine files which defines the memory of the virtual Trio32/64:
I checked myself, but there's also a source: https://superuser.com/questions/144367/virtua … video-card-size

<video_adapter>
<vram_size type="integer">16</vram_size>
</video_adapter>

Having at least 4MB is good to have for the higher quality DOS games.
They usally come with FMVs, double-buffering and more than 256colours.

One of the first games of that type I've seen was ST:TNG - A Final Unity.
It allowed SVGA resolutions up to 1600x1200 I recall and came with loads of older VBE drivers.

It's funny that the original thread mentioned ToonsTruck, though.
That was one of the most demanding DOS games I've ever seen.

About 15 years ago or so, I played with the idea of building a Pentium II
DOS rig just for that very game, because it was so performance hungry.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Still wonder where the 2MB limit came from, though. Limits of the VESA specs, etc., maybe ?
But according to the VBE 2 specs, the highest modes each are 11Bh, 1280x1024, 16.8Mcols and mode 107h, 1280x1024, 256cols.
PCem says an -emulated- Trio32 supports 2MB, while Trio64 and S3 Vision864 support 4MB.
So what about DOSBox, does it just mimic the specs of a real Trio32 in the first place ? 😕

leileilol wrote:

Final Unity used 640x480 only.

Oops, my bad. 😅

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOSbox emulates a Trio64 with a fake VBE. I'm just saying there's no real need to go past 2MB in the context of dos gaming. The few games that do support 1280x1024 only do so in 256 colors.

apsosig.png
long live PCem