VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by brakenwagen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So DOSBOX can do one of two things aspect correction and no aspect correction. It would seem that aspect correction forces 4:3. And from what I can tell turning it off gives you the internal aspect ratio similar to what’s happening here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssluTgfkdlg(maybe). With consoles an internal aspect ratio makes sense, the devs just had to put up with whatever the hardware manufactures put together (though who knows why they would do it like that). But is this the case with DOS? Were the games always meant to be played at 4:3 or were computer monitors different from TVs? It’s weird because somehow I think both Warcraft and Doom look batter at their internal aspect ratio. But putting personal preferences aside what were these games meant to be played at? If you go back in time what did the kids see on their screens back then?

Reply 2 of 4, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yep. There is no such (meaningful) thing as "internal aspect ratio", even if that video admits that it's simplifying things. On CRT monitors the horizontal/vertical number of pixels doesn't determine squat about the ratio; the video signal timings do. The only confusion arises from giving some special meaning to square pixels, but that special meaning never existed on CRTs.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 3 of 4, by brakenwagen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah good that clears things up. I first noticed this when looking at screen shots online and saw that their aspect ratio was different from mine. It’s probably because everybody uploads screenshots from dosbox rather than get it from real hardware. My guess is dosbox’s screenshot just captures the raw pixels instead of the end picture that’s on the screen. Not the first time I’ve seen an emulator handle screenshots like that.

Reply 4 of 4, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Because capturing actual VGA directly is a highly prohibitively expensive process and you still won't get the correct aspect anyway.

Also DOS screen grabbing tools existed way before Dosbox (Neograb, Screenthief, etc) and so is the method of running the dos game in a window in W9X (One of Win95's original selling points) and copy-pasting it

apsosig.png
long live PCem