VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MightyOwl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, forum. On my laptop I have DOSBox running just fine. However, on my desktop the config file is not being applied. I have tried reinstalling DOSBox numerous times. None of the changes I make in the default config file are being applied. Like I said, the process works just fine on my laptop but not on this desktop. Both PCs are running Windows 10. What might I do to rectify this?

Reply 1 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

More information? Which conf are you editing? Are you using the installed Options batch file to do it? Is there another conf file in the installed directory?

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The console window that pops up when you start DOSBox tells you which config file it uses.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 5, by MightyOwl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

At launch the console says
CONFIG:Loading primary settings from config file dosbox.conf

While on my laptop it says.
CONFIG:Loading primary settingsg from config file C:\ etc. etc. etc.

Why is the default setup different on both computers? It's the same version of DOSBox on the same version of windows. I also still can't get the batch file to be applied in DOSBOX on the desktop.

EDIT: The solution seems to be to run the program as an administrator. Which I don't have to do on my laptop. Maybe it's because I have Windows settings different on the laptop. Thanks for the reponses guys!

Reply 5 of 5, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Something is probably different.
dosbox looks in its current (working) directory for dosbox.conf. So maybe either the working directory is different or dosbox.conf exists on only one machine ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!