VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by weylyn1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

first of all, I needed to completely reinstall Windows 8.1 on my computer and that's where the problem started. Since reinstallation, DOSBox 0.74 can't see anything inside its own root directory (C:\media\weylyn1\WD\Program Files (x86)\DOSBox). What it can see:
4T7Xs2.png
What it can't see are these directories: CD, DOSROOT and FLOPPY. These are specified in the config file as .\CD, .\DOSROOT and .\FLOPPY. DOSROOT is the virtual C drive (mount c .\DOSROOT -fressize 500), while CD and FLOPPY contains image files for specific games like Carmageddon or SimCity 2000.
on the other hand, DOSBox 0.74 Portable can see them in its own root directory (if I move them to there).

I already reinstalled DOSBox and checked the permissions for them but nothing solved my problem. And I really don't want to specify full paths for every mounted CD/Floppy (that's why I placed everything where they are).

Last edited by weylyn1 on 2018-04-26, 22:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 10, by weylyn1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

i'd check the permissions I were you (ownership and such)

As I said at the very end of the question, I already did it. But I asked this question because that didn't work.
By the way, I set my permissions to have full access to everything inside the DOSBox folder.

Reply 3 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOSBox doesn't do anything crazy.

Install DOSBox to it's standard location and see if you have the same issue.
Check your mount settings.
Make sure you changed to the mounted drive.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 10, by weylyn1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On my computer, the path C:\media\weylyn1\WD\ = drive D:\ (because Windows likes to swap drive letters). And installing DOSBox to C:\Program Files (x86) is not ok because that way I have to deal with permissions.
Now, about the mounts. What should I check? .\ refers to something in the same directory as the executable. .\DOSROOT is a directory named DOSROOT, in the DOSBox directory. And there is a directory named DOSROOT in my DOSBox directory (as shown here.

Reply 5 of 10, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Outside of the installation itself installing DOSBox in Program Files is not a problem as anything that DOSBox needs to write it will write in %localappdata%/DOSBox or diverted to the VirtualStore folder. It might also write stderr and stdout to the mounted folder. Just be sure that your mounted folders are not system folders.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 10, by weylyn1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:

Outside of the installation itself installing DOSBox in Program Files is not a problem as anything that DOSBox needs to write it will write in %localappdata%/DOSBox or diverted to the VirtualStore folder. It might also write stderr and stdout to the mounted folder. Just be sure that your mounted folders are not system folders.

There is no mounted folder because DOSBox can't see it. Otherwise it is not a system directory and is nowhere near a system directory.

Reply 7 of 10, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The point was that it is OK to install in the default location. If there were issues with it installed there the DOSBox devs would not have it as default. What mounting commands are you using?

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 8 of 10, by weylyn1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:

The point was that it is OK to install in the default location. If there were issues with it installed there the DOSBox devs would not have it as default. What mounting commands are you using?

MOUNT A .\FLOPPY\ALTEGO_F
MOUNT B .\FLOPPY\ALTEGO_M
MOUNT C .\DOSROOT -FREESIZE 500
IMGMOUNT D .\CD\DUNE2CD.ISO -FS iso
IMGMOUNT E .\CD\SC2000SE.DAT -t iso -fs iso
IMGMOUNT F .\CD\CARMA.ISO -FS iso
IMGMOUNT G .\CD\CRUSADER.ISO -FS iso
IMGMOUNT H .\CD\DAGGER.ISO -FS iso
IMGMOUNT I .\CD\CC1995.ISO -FS iso
IMGMOUNT J .\CD\WC3.DAT -FS iso
MOUNT V .\FLOPPY\DS
MOUNT X .\FLOPPY\AV8B

Since DOSBox doesn't see FLOPPY CD and DOSROOT, it can't mount any of the above drives.

Reply 9 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Launch dosbox
type in mount c .
c:
Type dir
See what host folder is mounted.

To use the mount commands as you have them currently then you'll need to start DOSBox from whatever directory is your root or modify a shortcut to launch DOSBox to start in that folder

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 10 of 10, by weylyn1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:
Launch dosbox type in mount c . c: Type dir See what host folder is mounted. […]
Show full quote

Launch dosbox
type in mount c .
c:
Type dir
See what host folder is mounted.

To use the mount commands as you have them currently then you'll need to start DOSBox from whatever directory is your root or modify a shortcut to launch DOSBox to start in that folder

Thanks! Turned out, somehow it got installed to C:\media\weylyn1\WD\Downloads\Program Files (x86)\DOSBox instead C:\media\weylyn1\WD\Program Files (x86)\DOSBox. Why didn't I notice this great mistake earlier?
Now that I reinstalled DOSBox to where it is supposed to be, it works as expected.

Thanks!