VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by readyready15728

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a working image of MS-DOS 6.22 that I built using the steps here:

https://github.com/readyready15728/misc/blob/ … os-on-dosbox.md

I wanted to get Borland Turbo C 1.5 up and running for old time's sake and took the disk images from WinWorld then supplied them after "boot" in the config file. I was able to start the installation but not finish it. It asked me for the next disk and used Ctrl-F4 to cycle through all the images, confirming that they were being swapped out through the console messages but none of the images were accepted. Cycled through like three times and no dice. Is there a way out of this?

Last edited by readyready15728 on 2018-09-01, 06:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sounds like a broken installer or install disk.

IIRC, you can inject the files directly into the disk IMG file using something like WinImage

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 2 of 3, by readyready15728

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Errius wrote:

Sounds like a broken installer or install disk.

IIRC, you can inject the files directly into the disk IMG file using something like WinImage

Are you talking about mounting the image and then adding the files directly? In that case, I'd have to know what file structure the installer intends to create. 😕 Possible (but tedious) if all the steps are being done in .BAT files but not necessarily otherwise.

And I have a bit of a hard time believing that the installers for both Borland Turbo C and Quick C (tried that too) are both broken given how much abandonware runs without a hitch.

Reply 3 of 3, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IIRC, it's just .H files in INCLUDE and .LIB files in LIB.

Programs were simple in those days.

Also: you will have to remap the DOSBox keys because the CTRL+Function Keys keystrokes needed by TC are also used by DOSBox.

You especially don't want to press CTRL+F9 (compile+run) without doing this first.

Is this too much voodoo?