VOGONS

Common searches

no sound

Topic actions

First post, by Guest

User metadata

hi I can't get any sound to play at all.

I'm using the built in sound card in my ABIT AV8 motherboard

Can someone help me?

Reply 1 of 13, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

a) Does sound work otherwise normally in Windows?
b) Do you know that sound in almost every DOS game must be configured?
There should be a program like SETUP/INSTAL/SETSOUND. It depends on a game...

Mirek

Reply 7 of 13, by Alexsource

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My guess would be that you have bad drivers or something...
BTW, which motherboard/integrated soundcard?
I have a pcchips mobo with a SiS 7018 integrated soundcard and everything sounds peachy.

chronos.jpg motoakira.jpg

Reply 11 of 13, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

SDL (sdl.dll) is a library that DOSBox uses for a lot of stuff - like drawings graphics and play sound. SDL comes with DOSBox, but sometimes the latest DOSBox+SDL has problems - problems that is not present in an earlier version. That is why Alexsource suggested you got an older one, but I think it is a bit to early to go down that route for you.

You do not need a DOS driver with DOSBox. As you more or less has guessed, DOSBox (and SDL) uses the drivers that you have have in Windows.

For now, I would forget about getting your current to run, and instead get hold of another game. There must be some free demo-games listed somewhere on this board. Get the smallest one you can find that make some sound. Then try to get that to work with DOSBox instead of your current game. If a small demo works, then DOSBox+SDL+Windows works...

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 13 of 13, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

1. Use the search funktion.
2. Post in DOSBox/Games/Apps with a telling subject, e.g. "Monkey Island 1, no sound?"

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions