VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by aurelionet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Everyone,
I'm new in DosBox and I'm using to Run an old Clipper software (8 bits) in 64 bit, and all working fine, except to display special chars in screen like ã for example.
In old DOS systems I used something like DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\DISPLAY.SYS CON=(EGA,,1) in config.sys
How can I do this in Dosbox?
Attached one image of "problem". Take a look in some chars.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

have a search on the forum, it may have come up before. But please note that DOSBox is intended for games only.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 13, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Or simply run a VirtualBox with MS DOS as guest. Should be fine for Clipper.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 4 of 13, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would rather install MsDos (or Free. Dos) in dosbox, using a virtual hard disk image. It's much (!) better for MS Dos than VirtualBox and the like.

Visit the end of the internet: www.groskreutz.de

Reply 5 of 13, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

But Dosbox isn’t a full virtualization...? Or is it? I thought it’s DOS and BIOS routines were builtin?

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 8 of 13, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kruwi wrote on 2020-01-07, 21:32:

In my opinion, dosbox + installed MS Dos will give you the most perfect emulation that you can get.

It might work well for you, but there are certain things that have been excluded deliberately from DOSBox because they're not really important for DOS gaming.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 9 of 13, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Printing comes to mind, of course. But if you have installed MS-DOS inside Dosbox (as I have recently done) at least share.exe and the like will work. Any remaining loose ends would probably be caused by an incomplete BIOS emulation.

Reply 10 of 13, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The next step would be to use PCEM. Slow, but ok for dos stuff. Even my quite crappy laptop manages to emulate a 486DX using PCEM 1.5.

Reply 12 of 13, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
aurelionet wrote on 2020-01-08, 19:25:

You know how can I print from VDOSPLUS without DOSPRINTER?
In Daum version of DosBox I can!

Daum isn't supported here (or anywhere that I'm aware of). You can use other filters with vDosPlus. Consult the documentation. If you have further questions regarding vDosPlus, they have their own forum. Please follow standard netiquette and do a quick scan or keyword search through the archive to see if your question has already been addressed before opening up a new thread.
https://sourceforge.net/p/vdosplus/discussion/general/

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 13 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kruwi wrote on 2020-01-08, 17:27:

The next step would be to use PCEM. Slow, but ok for dos stuff. Even my quite crappy laptop manages to emulate a 486DX using PCEM 1.5.

There's also MS-DOS Player..
Here's a review from 2011: https://virtuallyfun.com/wordpress/2011/02/11 … s-dos-player-2/
Emulation surely has quite improved since.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//