VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MR.X

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I guess I should be greatful that DOSbox can run windows 3.1 (and that win 3.1 boots up in like 2 seconds) but I wanna know what video card DOSbox emulates and if there's a driver that will make it do 256 colors.

The only mode that works is 640x480 in 16 color mode. 640x480 is fine but some programs that I've got to work look terrible with only 16 colors...I guess I should be greatful they work at all though.

Anyway, so is there a win 3.1 driver I can install to get 256 colors (without making the screen go all weird)

Oh, and just out of curiousity, has anybody installed windows 95 on DOSbox? I wonder if that's possible.....

Reply 2 of 20, by MR.X

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I used to have Win 98 (SE) but I upgraded to Win XP. In general I am pleased with XP's stability but some of my old stuff wouldn't run correctly. I dislike dual boot computers, hence my interest in DOSbox.

I'm trying to get the best of both worlds. Xp's stability and having Win 3.1 (or 95) running in a virtual enviroment. I'm pretty happy with Dosbox. It's free, gets better with every new release, and to my suprise can handle win 3.1 But I wanna push Dosbox as far as I can...if possible, push it to 256 colors.

Reply 5 of 20, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

dosbox emulates a s3 trio (searching the forum might help)

specialized drivers do not work as we didn't implement hardware acceleration of the s3. Neither will we add them at short notice.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 8 of 20, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

yes that's right candacow coded an oak videocard in it. that one has much simpeler hardware accelerations.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 10 of 20, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got the S3 video driver for Windows 3.1 nearly compatible. I'll be posting my new code to the CVS (ready for 0.64) fairly soon here.

Reply 14 of 20, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

a) VGA version 3 works without any problems. No idea why it does not work for you.
b) If you have the latest CVS and you installed S3 card, start Windows with parameter /b (win /b) to avoid this problem.

Mirek

Reply 19 of 20, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous wrote:

Ok, thanks I founded it (dosbox.conf), now the problems is that the mouse doesn't move 🙁 what can I do to fix this. Thanks

In this case, you'll have to wait for 0.64 to fix this. No discussion of the CVS is allowed in the general forum.