VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Sebiohazard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good evening everyone !

I followed the tutorial for the installation of Windows 98 on DOSBox here & here but I do not understand how to install the 3DFX drivers because the card is not detected in the device manager of Windows 98 ?!

Greetings !

1573296399.gif

Reply 2 of 42, by Wengier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can also try this Wiki guide for Windows 98 SE with 3DFX, although it is primarily targeted for DOSBox-X:

https://github.com/wengier/dosbox-x-wiki/wiki … ling-Windows-98

Windows 98 is officially supported by DOSBox-X, but not DOSBox because the latter is only for DOS gaming.

Reply 3 of 42, by Sebiohazard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello !

I installed Windows 98 SE with DOSBox-X but I have a big problem when restarting Windows I have a black screen !!! I configured the DOSBox-X .conf file with this option because otherwise the Windows installation would freeze:

voodoo = opengl

I can start Windows only in safe mode... I also have another problem the mouse does not work, it is not captured by DOSBox-X (with DOSBox SVN the mouse worked). I also changed these options in the .conf file:

core = dynamic
memsize = 128

Despite all this I still have a black screen... how do I do this ?

Greetings !

1573296399.gif

Reply 4 of 42, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you follow the Wiki? And use the config from the wiki? In any case, so you need to change a few settings.

[sdl]
autolock=true
[cpu]
core=normal

Also I have not had any issues with the voodoo=auto with my testing on Linux, so this may be a DOSBox on Windows issue.

Reply 5 of 42, by Sebiohazard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good evening everyone !

I followed the Wiki instructions thank you. I created a dosbox-x.conf file here is its content:

[sdl]
autolock=true

[dosbox]
title=Windows 98
memsize=64
vmemsize=8
cycles=60000
vesa modelist width limit=0
vesa modelist height limit=0

[dos]
ver=7.1

[cpu]
cputype=pentium_mmx
core=normal

[sblaster]
sbtype=sb16vibra
irq=5

[ne2000]
# If you want networking in Windows, set ne2000=true.
# This also requires that you set realnic= to a suitable value for your PC
ne2000=false
nicirq=10
realnic=list

[fdc, primary]
int13fakev86io=true

[ide, primary]
int13fakeio=true
int13fakev86io=true

[ide, secondary]
int13fakeio=true
int13fakev86io=true
cd-rom insertion delay=4000

[render]
scaler=none

[autoexec]

imgmount 0 boot.img -t floppy -fs none
imgmount 2 win98.img -t hdd -size 512,63,64,520 -fs none
boot -l c

Windows 98 SE is finally installed correctly & the Voodoo 3DFX is finally recognized ! Unfortunately the sound is not working properly... can you help me ?

Greetings !

1573296399.gif

Reply 6 of 42, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When you say that sound is not working properly, can you explain what the problem is? I have found that it works, but if there is a lot going on, such as when Win98 is starting, and your PC is perhaps not very powerful you can get sound sound skipping.

Reply 7 of 42, by Sebiohazard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello !

I have a conflict with two sound cards in Windows 98 SE ?! I don't understand why I have two active sound cards ? I can't remove one, it automatically reinstalls when you restart Windows !

How to proceed ?

OTcPzZZ.jpg

Greetings !

1573296399.gif

Reply 10 of 42, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Weird, because I wrote that wiki page and tested it.

The only way I could find that triggered such behaviour was if I did an install with the default sbtype=sb16 (or just don't have the line at all, since that is the default) and then afterwards change to sbtype=sb16vibra.

Have you tried deleting BOTH sound blaster cards (and the MPI401), and then restart Win98? That solved it for me.

p.s. the wiki page has a bug, which should get fixed in the next days. The cycles= statement should be in the [cpu] section.

Reply 11 of 42, by Sebiohazard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello & thank you for your help !

I have reinstalled Windows 98 & now the sound is working fine. I also modified the .conf file with the CPU setting in the correct section:

[cpu]
cputype=pentium_mmx
core=normal
cycles=60000

My PC is not powerful enough so I lowered the number of cycles (10,000). On the other hand I have another problem, my keyboard is in QWERTZ (Switzerland) it is not recognized by DOSBox-X it is recognized as QWERTY ?!

Even if when launching DOSBox-X with the keyb sf command my keyboard is not recognized ?! How to proceed ?

Greetings !

1573296399.gif

Reply 13 of 42, by Sebiohazard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello !

I followed the instruction in the Wiki & added this in the [dos] section of my .conf file

keyboardlayout=sf

SF = Swiss French but it does not work... the Swiss keyboard must not be recognized...

1573296399.gif

Reply 16 of 42, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm afraid I don't follow you. If I start dosbox-x with those settings I get a Swiss French layout in DOSBox-X with the integrated DOS.

If you start a real DOS or Windows 9x in DOSBox-X you will need to configure your keyboard layout separately. The keyboardlayout= will have no effect once real DOS or Windows 9x is started.

Reply 17 of 42, by Sebiohazard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just have a problem with the key:

S407jb5.jpg

which gives a

'

instead of a

-

Another question:

How to save DOSBox-X settings in Video > Fit to aspect ratio tab ? After each restart it must be reconfigured...

Greetings !

1573296399.gif

Reply 18 of 42, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just tried it here on Linux and Windows.

Linux SDL2 with host-keyboard set to swiss-french

command_000.png
Filename
command_000.png
File size
7.66 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Linux SDL1 with host-keyboard set to swiss-french

command_001.png
Filename
command_001.png
File size
7.64 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

It also works fine with the Windows SDL2 version, but for the Windows SDL1 version there is indeed an issue.
- If the host keyboard is set to US, it works fine
- If the host keyboard is not set to the US, you encounter the problem. Even with usescancodes=true

Could I ask you to raise an issue on Github for this?

As for aspect ratio, just set
[render]
aspect=true

Reply 19 of 42, by Sebiohazard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello thank you very much for your help 😀

1. On which Github page can I report this keyboard issue ?

2. I see you have version 0.83.4 of DOSBox-X SDL2 when I go to the official DOSBox-X site here I can't find the downloads section ? Where did you find it please ?

Greetings !

1573296399.gif