VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Anticept

User metadata

Will pentium class core be supported in doxbox? I have a couple games that use the pentium core in a dos environment.
Ex. Terminal Velocity

BTW, Thanks for such a great program!

Anticept

Reply 2 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The "pentium core"?

As far as I know all "pentium" games worked on my 486DX4/100 back in the day. The Pentium had more cache and a wider bus and of course MMX, which of course doesn't matter for DosBox....it is possible that some games may require MMX tho.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 10, by Anticept

User metadata

I never said that it doesn't work.
It is just that my large monitor makes the game REALLY ugly. I would like to be able to use the higher graphic settings so that it wont look like a bunch of fuzzy ships floating around. However, when I set it to pentium, the game lags bad. I even turned the clock speed way up but it didn't help. 😒

Reply 4 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unfortunately, just because DOSBox emulates everything (and hence its broad compatibility range), it needs a powerful machine. I think obtaining Pentium equivalent speeds must be something difficult to achieve with current hardware.

PS - Did you try running the game using VDMSound or even VirtualPC?, where your real cpu speed is the speed you get.

Last edited by eL_PuSHeR on 2005-01-21, 18:31. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 5 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll have to look at TV again but I believe when you switch to "pentium" it just switches to higher VESA modes.

Reply 6 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.3drealms.com/tv/

SVGA support (640 x 480 resolution). This is a Pentium-recommended mode

Special Pentium mode to improve textured graphics.

Anyone ever use the S3 Virge patch for TV? I only ever used TV with I think an old Cirrus Logic and a Trident card back in the day....Did it provide any kind of enhancement to TV or just speed improvements?

Reply 7 of 10, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Man, what a mess 3D acceleration was back in the day... VQuake, and that "optimized" version of Descent 2 for S3 Virge that was a total joke. Thank god we're beyond that!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go play some Half-Life 2 on my ATI machine, and then maybe some Doom 3 on my Nvidia machine 😁

Reply 8 of 10, by fish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Original Pentium had no MMX nor had the Pentium Pro. The Pentium II, though based on the Pentium Pro, had MMX as well as later "Pentium MMX" P55C which had a different internal arrangement than traditional P54C Pentium

The Sole Survivor.
Find me on efnet #oldgames

Reply 10 of 10, by zorach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
oneirotekt wrote:

that "optimized" version of Descent 2 for S3 Virge that was a total joke.

S3 ViRGE: The 3-decelerator. (IIRC part of the problem, other than the obvious of the S3V being a piece of crap, was running in 16 bit colour--just plain more data to push. I believe someone tried to claim it was running at 800x600 though!)