VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mike_canada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When the real MS-DOS starts on an old computer, config.sys is processed before autoexec.bat but I want to know if there is a way I can run some config.sys commands.

I'd like to be able to set the values to the following variables:

FILES
BUFFERS
STACKS

And is there a way to set the DOS environment size? On a real DOS setup, I can execute command.com /E:xxx

The reason I ask is because I'm troubleshooting a DOS networking application and I think it has alot to do with the environment.

Reply 1 of 3, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What networking application are you trying to run? Regular DOSBox has no Ethernet emulation support (NE2000).

In any case, in DOSBox those variables are fixed.

Part of this is due to the fact that DOSBox is only supported for running games. If you want to run other DOS applications, you may want to have a look at DOSBox-X which has NE2000 emulation and does allow you to change some setting in its config file.

Reply 2 of 3, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What you could try: create a dummy config.sys and place it in the root folder of your "C:Drive". You still won't have network emulation, though.

Visit the end of the internet: www.groskreutz.de

Reply 3 of 3, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kruwi wrote on 2021-01-08, 11:48:

What you could try: create a dummy config.sys and place it in the root folder of your "C:Drive". You still won't have network emulation, though.

A dummy config.sys only helps if the application is checking config.sys for the values.