VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by hawkeyefxr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have just got into Dosbox as i thought playing some old games during lockdown, would burn some time up.
I have found some old 'friends' Doom, Doom2, Duke3D, Quake and various other Dooms.
I have sound in one Doom but none of the other Dooms
Quake does not have sound
Duke3d did have sound but now does not??

I am on a Mac
I have looked into the preference file and seen the is a line for SoundBlaster but no way to set it to =true. There is another line which says SB16 which i take to mean Sound Blaster 16 bit.

I did notice that there was a GravisUltrasound but that was set to =false.

Any help or info on how to get sound going on my Mac appriciated. (the sound in the Mac in normal mode works fine and Volume is on max.

Just another thought, i have seen some fo the folders have setup.exe or install.bat files. I am going to transfer the game back to my old PC in case these files need to be run to set the sound card though i know i have done this on some of the folders.

Reply 1 of 5, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Should be moved to DOSBOX forum?

Anyhow,

If the mac build of Dosbox has the same configuration file structure, then it should have a [sblaster] section, which sets all the parameters and explains what they mean. Then for the game(s) you run inside Dosbox, you need to run the setup program (if exists) and configure the settings to match.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 4 of 5, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

for sound blaster you need
sbtype=sb16

the games should autodetect it when you start them. (at least that is what I remember for the doom games)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 5, by hawkeyefxr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got to hold my hands up, i was going straight into the game and not running 'setup' to choose the soundcard.
Now i have all things running makes me realise how bad the graphice were back then, still good games though.