Common searches

Control F10

Topic actions

First post, by ik8ozv

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello folks,
i am using a Dos terminal program under DosBox.
i need to press control and F10 together to save the configurations, but when i try the command, it does not have effect
on the program, but makes the mouse pointer disappear and appear.
Please anybody can tell me how to do that it works in the teminal program?
Thanks in advance
Enzo

Reply 1 of 11, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Would probably help a lot if you said what the terminal program is. Perhaps the save settings command has been mapped to some other shortcut key or only works it certain contexts.

Reply 3 of 11, by ik8ozv

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xcomcmdr wrote on 2022-05-08, 08:25:

Use Ctrl-F1 to remap this action to some other key combination of your choosing.

Thanks for your reply.
Will you be so kind to tell me the correct procedure?
Thanks
Enzo

Reply 4 of 11, by Electronic Genets

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ik8ozv wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

1) Run dosbox with parameter -setmapper

dosbox -setmapper

2) Click "Cap Mouse"
3) Click "Next" until you see "Bind: Ctrl F10"
4) Click "Del"
5) Click "Add"
6) Click "0" (zero)
7) Click "Cap Mouse"
8) Check Mod1 and Mod2 (two squares)
9) Click "Save".
10) Your new Capture Mouse key is Ctrl+Alt+0. The Ctrl+F10 is free now.

If you break something and DosBox will start to suck, you can start it with command

dosbox -resetmapper

I think the default setting should be Ctrl+Alt+digit because DOS programs didn't use this combination. Ctrl+Fx and Alt+Ctrl+Fx are used by Linux for console and desktop switching. The default dosbox mapper sucks on Linux (probably all distributions).

I also suggest assigning Alt+Tab (Tab + Mod2) to "Cap Mouse" as second combination. It will save you a lot of stress.

Author of the DINO-2e OPL2-like emulator.
DINO-2e is not OPL2 emulator.

Reply 5 of 11, by ik8ozv

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Electronic Genets wrote on 2022-05-09, 21:40:
1) Run dosbox with parameter -setmapper […]
Show full quote
ik8ozv wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

1) Run dosbox with parameter -setmapper

dosbox -setmapper

2) Click "Cap Mouse"
3) Click "Next" until you see "Bind: Ctrl F10"
4) Click "Del"
5) Click "Add"
6) Click "0" (zero)
7) Click "Cap Mouse"
8) Check Mod1 and Mod2 (two squares)
9) Click "Save".
10) Your new Capture Mouse key is Ctrl+Alt+0. The Ctrl+F10 is free now.

If you break something and DosBox will start to suck, you can start it with command

dosbox -resetmapper

I think the default setting should be Ctrl+Alt+digit because DOS programs didn't use this combination. Ctrl+Fx and Alt+Ctrl+Fx are used by Linux for console and desktop switching. The default dosbox mapper sucks on Linux (probably all distributions).

I also suggest assigning Alt+Tab (Tab + Mod2) to "Cap Mouse" as second combination. It will save you a lot of stress.

Thanks for the reply.
I have tried but it did not work or i have done something wrong.
First if i try with :

dosbox -setmapper

Nothing happens, but reading the manual i found that the command should be:

dosbox -startmapper

as i see like a keyboard when i run it. Is it the right command or it is the one you've said?

So going on with your help, i have done the following steps:

2) Clicked "Cap Mouse" [it begun green and already can read under the words "EVENT: hand_capmouse", the
words: "Bind: Key f10"]
3) [Click on "Next", nothing happens i continue to see "Bind: Key f10" ]
4) Clicked "Del"
5) Clicked "Add" [i got in red the words :"Press a key/joystick button or move the joystick"]
6) Clicked "0" (zero) [i get some boxes back and in white the words: "Select a different or hit Add/Del/Next
buttons."]
7) Clicked "Cap Mouse" [it begun green]
8) Check Mod1 and Mod2 (two squares) [Please what you mean for Check? Click on them? If i click on
"Mod 1", begun green and i can read under it the words:
"EVENT:mod_1" and under it "BIND:Key left ctrl" and when i
i cllick on Mod2, the "Mod 1" returns white and the Mod2
begun green and i can read under it the words:
"EVENT:mod_2" and under it "BIND:Key left alt" ]
9) Clicked"Save". [i can read the words: "Mapper file saved]

I hope i have done correctly but when i run my program i do no get the CTRL F10 working as it shoul but still get the mouse pointer disappear and appear.
Please where am i still missing?
Thanks
Enzo

Reply 6 of 11, by Electronic Genets

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Try to hit "0" (zero) key on keyboard if you see red alert and skip point 7. We probably use different versions of DosBox.
Before next -startmapper use -resetmapper because I don't know what happened after point 6).

Keymapper in DosBox is very non-intuitive.

White box means: checked
Black box means unchecked. Yes. They can't even draw a checkbox <facepalm>

Video version: https://ufile.io/z8ps3nse
After first Add: I press ZERO button on keyboard
After second Add I press Tab button on keyboard.
Ctrl F10 is Free, Alt+Tab and Ctrl+Alt+0 releases mouse. Ctrl+Alt+0 also captures mouse if mouse is currently released. Alt+Tab switches window after second press (less than perfect but saves a lot of stress).

Reply 7 of 11, by ik8ozv

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Electronic Genets wrote on 2022-05-10, 22:50:
Try to hit "0" (zero) key on keyboard if you see red alert and skip point 7. We probably use different versions of DosBox. Befo […]
Show full quote

Try to hit "0" (zero) key on keyboard if you see red alert and skip point 7. We probably use different versions of DosBox.
Before next -startmapper use -resetmapper because I don't know what happened after point 6).

Keymapper in DosBox is very non-intuitive.

White box means: checked
Black box means unchecked. Yes. They can't even draw a checkbox <facepalm>

Video version: https://ufile.io/z8ps3nse
After first Add: I press ZERO button on keyboard
After second Add I press Tab button on keyboard.
Ctrl F10 is Free, Alt+Tab and Ctrl+Alt+0 releases mouse. Ctrl+Alt+0 also captures mouse if mouse is currently released. Alt+Tab switches window after second press (less than perfect but saves a lot of stress).

Hi Guys,
I found the problem because it didn't work.
It was'nt the procedure but it was in the config file of the program.
In the config file i had:

mapperfile=mapper-0.74.map

while it had to be correctly:

mapperfile=mapper-0.74-3.map

as i am using the version 0.74-3 of DosBox.
So thanks to everyone who helped solve my problem.
Thanks
Enzo

Reply 8 of 11, by Electronic Genets

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ik8ozv wrote:

Hi Guys,

I am a woman, not guy. I really don't like it when people think that all programmers and all electronics are boys. "Hi colleagues" or "Hi to all" will be more appropriate... But it is completely unnecessary on forums and chats.

ik8ozv wrote:
In the config file i had: mapperfile=mapper-0.74.map while it had to be correctly: mapperfile=mapper-0.74-3.map […]
Show full quote

In the config file i had:
mapperfile=mapper-0.74.map
while it had to be correctly:
mapperfile=mapper-0.74-3.map

DosBox sucks really. So many mistakes in the simplest things. After "-resetmapper" it should create the mapper file anyway due to current config. DosBox crew, more quality please!

Reply 9 of 11, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Electronic Genets wrote on 2022-05-11, 13:47:
ik8ozv wrote:

Hi Guys,

I am a woman, not guy. I really don't like it when people think that all programmers and all electronics are boys. "Hi colleagues" or "Hi to all" will be more appropriate... But it is completely unnecessary on forums and chats.

"Guys" in English is commonly used as a gender-neutral term.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2021/0 … ered-etymology/

Reply 10 of 11, by Electronic Genets

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
_Rob wrote:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/guy#Usage_notes

Wiktionary wrote:

In plural, guys may not be completely gender-neutral, but it may refer to people of any gender in some circumstances and forms; the greeting “Hey guys”, or any vocative utterance, can generally refer to people of any gender. Referring to a group as “guys” often means a group of men or a mixed-gender group, though usage among American youth may even refer to groups of only women.

So please use non-gender specific language at least in relation to myself. I do not live in America. Sorry but I'm as old fashioned as YM3812 but I think I deserve respect too.

BTW. Guys are living in French Guyana. There are people in the rest of the world.

Last edited by Electronic Genets on 2022-05-21, 11:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 11, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Electronic Genets wrote on 2022-05-11, 15:38:
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/guy#Usage_notes […]
Show full quote
_Rob wrote:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/guy#Usage_notes

Wiktionary wrote:

In plural, guys may not be completely gender-neutral, but it may refer to people of any gender in some circumstances and forms; the greeting “Hey guys”, or any vocative utterance, can generally refer to people of any gender. Referring to a group as “guys” often means a group of men or a mixed-gender group, though usage among American youth may even refer to groups of only women.

So please use non-gender specific language at least in relation to myself. I do not live in America. Sorry but I'm as old fashioned as YM3812 but I think I deserve respect too.

I was trying to give a hint that such use is completely normal and widely accepted, not just in America but also in Britain and Australia. I have often seen it used by woman themselves, even when addressing other woman. Also if you see my profile, you will see that I'm located in Europe. English is not my first language either.

And since you like to quote Wikipedia, from now on I will treat your forum posts as trolling.