VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Alexshvd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there!
I have FiiO BTR2021 DAC connected to the laptop, and when I start playing DOS games via DOSBox, there is sound from my laptop speakers instead of headphones connected to DAC. I opened "mmsys.cpl" options and turned off my Realtek HD Audio. Since then there has been no sound at all.
What should I do to make my DAC work with DOSBox games?
Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 2, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DOSBox calls SDL_OpenAudioDevice in a way that requests "the most reasonable default device" (as per the SDL docs). Is your OS configured correctly (i.e. did you make that DAC the default audio output)? Do other SDL based programs have the same issue?

edit: Scratch that, I was looking at dosbox-staging at first - but now I see that vanilla dosbox is looking for something fulfilling certain criteria. My guess would be your DAC is too good for those, which is why it doesn't get picked over the onboard audio. You could play around with the "freq" and "blocksize" settings in the config's "mixer" section (those get passed in as a "give me such-and-such a device" option), or try reconfiguring/"downgrading" the DAC to run at slightly lower specs until things match.

Reply 2 of 2, by Alexshvd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
elszgensa wrote on 2023-05-05, 20:40:

DOSBox calls SDL_OpenAudioDevice in a way that requests "the most reasonable default device" (as per the SDL docs). Is your OS configured correctly (i.e. did you make that DAC the default audio output)? Do other SDL based programs have the same issue?

edit: Scratch that, I was looking at dosbox-staging at first - but now I see that vanilla dosbox is looking for something fulfilling certain criteria. My guess would be your DAC is too good for those, which is why it doesn't get picked over the onboard audio. You could play around with the "freq" and "blocksize" settings in the config's "mixer" section (those get passed in as a "give me such-and-such a device" option), or try reconfiguring/"downgrading" the DAC to run at slightly lower specs until things match.

Thank you for the answer! I'll try to downgrade DAC/AMP specs