VOGONS

First post, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all,

I uploaded two small patches to the sourceforge patches page of dosbox.

One is a slightly improved font, taken from a real (Matrox G400) card. It's a true 8x16 (and 8x14) font, ideal for dosbox since dosbox doesn't do 9 pixel columns per character (720x400) in text mode, instead it does 640x400. With this patch, broad letters such as M, m, W, w will no longer "stick" to each other, there will be a one pixel wide separation between them. Makes text mode more readable.

(before anybody yells "infringement" because the font comes from a real card - I'm pretty sure the font currently in dosbox comes from a real card too, otherwise the differences would be greater.)

The second is a small patch that allows building with Intel C++ 9.0 on Linux even when you have GCC 4.0 installed. It doesn't hinder compilation by GCC in any way. I found that especially in the dynamic core, the Intel compiler gives me some more cycles per second than GCC. The Intel for Linux compiler is free for noncommercial use, by the way.

Maybe this belongs into the patches forum, but not being a moderator I can't post a new topic in there. A moderator wight want to move this topic there.

tearex

Reply 1 of 2, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

before anybody yells "infringement" because the font comes from a real card - I'm pretty sure the font currently in dosbox comes from a real card too, otherwise the differences would be greater.)

Think again.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 2, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Qbix wrote:

Think again.

I didn't mean to step on anybody's toes. Sorry if I offended you or some other developer.

Still, the font in there is so similar to the font on my card - more than 99% identical. How do you do that when designing it from scratch?

tearex