VOGONS

First post, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've put a new small patch on the SF patches page. With it, backspace is handled correctly in INT 21 / AH=0x0a "Buffered Input". This function is an old DOS function for reading a whole line of input from the user. It's rarely used by newer games, but for example the Infocom V3 games (MS-DOS-based versions, not the older booters) use it to read the player's commands. Without the patch, backspace seems to work but then the game barfs, since the backspace character is simply written into the buffer. This patch implements the correct behaviour: erase the last character from the buffer (if at least one is in there) and overwrite it on the screen with a space.

tearex

Reply 3 of 5, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

True enough. I missed that one. Well, the only addition I made myself is the following observation: This is actually a useful patch for running certain *games*, not just an old debug.exe. Maybe a better reason for the maintainers to add it (or its functionality implemented some better way) at some point.

EDIT: I marked the patch as duplicate and closed it.

tearex

Reply 4 of 5, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The observation is valid. You probably should add a note to the original patch on SF mentioning problems in those particular games. That would increase chances of that patch for being added to CVS soon.

Reply 5 of 5, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

yes. Giving example of problamtic games greatly increases changes of succes.

(we only fix/add things if something needs it. Preferably more that one thing.)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!