VOGONS

Dosbox with Gilde2x.ovl

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 84, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Works fine for me in Vista RC2 (64bit) with dgVoodoo wrapper (OpenGL is NOT available with Aero!).
That unsupported call message is a debug message, it shouldn't be visible in the final builds. Call 135 is not important.
I don't know about sound, I don't have any Audigy drivers installed in Vista ATM, so I can't check. I assume it should work though.

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 63 of 84, by Converter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's too bad. Will it ever be implemented?

Another question: since I can't get the fullscreen in glide mode how can I make the DosBox window bigger? I did change the window resolution to 800x600 and then to 1024x768 but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Am I doing something wrong?

The DosBox window is way too small to play the game.

Reply 64 of 84, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe, glide is still in early experimental stage.
You can't change the resolution, glide games control that and since voodoo1 did not support more than 640x480, that is the most you will get 😀

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 66 of 84, by Converter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes that worked. Even if you use direct3d or opengl in output. The thing is that after starting the game the window is much bigger than was set to be when FMVs play and when the level starts the window goes back to 640x480 or 800x600.

I wonder if there is a way to force it to stay the same size at all times. For example 1024x768.

Reply 69 of 84, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

TR1 (demo) in software mode with XP drivers loaded does work and sound works as well. I only played around with it for 1-2 minutes though.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 70 of 84, by Converter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, there is sound in Vista. And I did not try it with other games.

I can hear gunshots, footsteps this kind of sounds but not the music in the main menu.

It works perfectly on XP but not on Vista.

Reply 72 of 84, by Converter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Vista's Volume Mixer has only 2 sliders: "Speakers" and "Windows Sounds". Both are up and not muted. Unless I'm missing something I can't see CD Audio playback settings anywhere in Vista.

Could it be the Creative Beta drivers for Vista? They're just basic drivers without Creative Control Panel.

Reply 73 of 84, by Converter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If that doesn't work is there a way to "make" DosBox pull the sound directly from the CD. The Tomb Raider 1 CD is mixed mode (audio/data). The sounds/music that is on the audio part of the CD is the one I don't hear.

I thought that DosBox emulate Sound Blaster sound card and it really doesn't need the functions of the system's card. Maybe only to "channel" the sound to the speakers.

I don't exactly know how this works so what I'm saying may sound impossible.

Reply 74 of 84, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't know what it does in NTVDM (using 64bit Vista right now) but any application that plays CD audio in Windows will show up in your Volume Mixer if your actively using it.

So load up a CD with CD Audio in whatever media player you use. Right-click on the audio tray icon and go to "Volume Mixer". I'm wondering how this would be handled in NTVDM if at all.....

On another note I went into Device Manager to look for that "Digital Audio" option on the CDROM and it's gone. I guess Vista doesn't support the CD audio cable anymore? Doesn't this cause audio problems in some games?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 75 of 84, by Converter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried to install TR on Vista before (same way like in XP) and it didn't work. I guess Vista's way of dealing with NTVDM changed from the way XP does.

Most modern games play without any problems in Vista.

The best thing would be if DosBox could deal with this problem without depending much on hardware.

Reply 76 of 84, by Converter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My friend and I managed to run TR in DosBox on Vista not only with glide and sounds but also in fullscreen. The only two things that left to figure out is how to deal with the music and ambient sounds that are located on audio part of the CD and with the graphics that are aliased.

All that only on Vista. On XP everything is working just fine.

But the thing is to make it work on Vista since on XP it works fine and there are also other ways to make it work.

There must be a way.

By the way, thank you all for your interest. You're all doing a great job with DosBox.

Reply 77 of 84, by khand

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I Try Tomb Raider
with :
- ykhwong's latest cvs build (12/03/2006) & the required glide2x.ovl
- Voodoo Rush patch
- Fullscreen in OpenGLid.ini : InitFullScreen=1 or 0

I have nearly the same problem than Converter

It starts fine. I can watch the FMVs but at the main menu the screen goes black with the background music & sounds.
When I select the new game from the passport (blindly) the intro FMV before the first leve plays and I can watch it but when the level starts the screen goes black again.
I can hear the background sounds but there is no picture.
Black screen happens in DosBox window & fullscreen mode.

Does anyone have solution ?

Win XP Sp2 MCE
ATI Radeon X1300 Pro