VOGONS

First post, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A while back Qbix said that support for CD labels would be in an upcoming version. Is this still the plan? There's a lot of things that install from floppy or CD that do volume label checks and won't currently work in DOSbox, not to mention some CD games do their copy protection with a simple label check. I believe the recent problems people were having getting TIE Fighter CD Edition to work were due in part to this.

The most convenient way I can think of to implement this (for users, dunno how tough it is to code) would just be to reproduce the functionality of the DOS command LABEL (which is actually still with us in the NT console):

LABEL [drive] [label]

Reply 2 of 9, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah, thanks! Seems to work, but TIE CD still doesn't work... guess the problem isn't with labels.

Just to be completely nitpicky, it would be nice if the volume label for a drive appeared above a directory listing... there's not currently any visible indicator of what a label is or has been changed to.

Reply 4 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the /p is there 😀 (cvs )

I'm thinking on displaying the the volume label in dir command.

Trouble is what to do on linux which doesn't have good default labels yet

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover ...and you can't pipe it through MORE, and ...

Which you can do easily using your "real" OS. I'd say that particular function needs to come somewhere well after full Pentium and SVGA/VESA emulation (and the ability to load Win95 in 256-color mode).

In other words, that's a really low priority.

Reply 7 of 9, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

... well after full Pentium and SVGA/VESA emulation (and the ability to load Win95 in 256-color mode).

Which begs the question, when will DOSBox support DOSBox? 😁

Reply 8 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
oneirotekt wrote:

Which begs the question, when will DOSBox support DOSBox? 😁

SDL.dll doesn't have a DOS port so the changes are very little.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!