VOGONS

First post, by Bad Command

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First thing's first, thank you awesome dev'rs for crafting this brilliant piece of software.

My question is this: has the idea of opening a tcp connection for modem / nullmodem emulation ever come up? I.E., having the comm port be opened and listening be interpeted as opening a socket listening for incoming connections, reading and writing packets as you would reading and writing to the comm port.

A super-neato-keen alternative would be to emulate a modem and ATDT commands to work as opening/closing tcp connections (ATDT 155246001020 would be to connect to 155.246.1.20) or something.... 🤣, reminds me of those fake hacker movies that confuse modems and ethernet cards. Or, an entry in the cfg file to enable rs232->tcp, ip to connect to (connect to self at port X, whatever), etc.... and then essentially have null-modem... which would probably make more sense 🤣...

There's tons of stuff to consider and it would be nontrivial to figure out how games access comm port, but it would be really awesome. I've only had the most basic of unix network programming, but I wouldn't mind putting in my 2 cents into such an endeavour.

Imagine DOSBox running the ROTT (Rise of the Triad) BBS module (a whole 'nother nightmare) and have simultaneous 8+ player ROTT action (wowie!) going on 🤣 (too bad ROTT doesn't even work yet?)

Hah, I'd be happy just getting Modem Wars working! ^.^

How 'bout it guys?

Reply 1 of 3, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

allready done that.

Wait for the next version to try it out.

PS: it seems that you used the cvs version allready. it's present there. just look for it in the configfile.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 3, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Bad Command Imagine DOSBox running the ROTT (Rise of the Triad) BBS module (a whole 'nother nightmare) and have simultaneous 8+ player ROTT action (wowie!) going on 🤣 (too bad ROTT doesn't even work yet?)

In the meantime, try one of the Windows ports. The HiRes version is a hack (and therefore less stable), but much easier on the eyes.

The forum for the source ports is here.

All the replacement executables are here (click on "new .EXE's")