VOGONS

First post, by Minuous

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I see that you have attempted to fix the emulator to handle the 16-colour CGA mode, which is used by the games MOONBUGS, ROUND42 and BRICKS.

However unfortunately there are still a few problems:

1) All 3 games: The display in this mode is being squashed into the top half of the window, it needs to be stretched to cover the whole window.

2) All 3 games: The top two rows of pixels are not visible, the display needs to be moved down by two pixels.

3) BRICKS: The CAPS LOCK and INS keys are not being noticed in the game. As they are the left and right movement keys respectively the game cannot be played.

4) BRICKS: The screen adjustment feature in the main menu does not work, it doesn't move around. If you try to move the screen down a few pixels then the lower half of the window will have a copy of the upper half.

5) BRICKS: The ball graphics are wrong, it should be a full circle, but the top left part of the circle is missing.

6) ROUND42: The display is a bit messed up after quitting, I can't remember whether it did that on the original machine or not.

7) MOONBUGS: 2 rows of corrupt pixels beneath the playing area (ie. about in the centre of the window, since of course it is only filling half the window until bug #1 is fixed).

I also have a feature suggestion: would it be possible to have a command-line switch or a hotkey or similar to get the game to run at approximately 4.77MHz like an original IBM-PC? I know you can change the number of cycles but it is very hard to know whether you are running a particular game at the speed it's intended to be, it's pure guesswork really. It would make the emulator much more useful.

I'm not sure whether you have these games, I can send them on request anyway, they are all quite small of course and I think they were freely distributable even when they came out, certainly ROUND42 and MOONBUGS were.

Reply 1 of 2, by iampiti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bricks mmm
I've got a game here called 'muro' by Vince Bly and it's an Arkanoid clone, maybe it's the same.
Yes Caps Lock and Ins don't work here either. I think this is a common problem in Dosbox, at least there are reports of other people having trouble with Caps Lock.

We'll have to wait.

Iampiti