VOGONS

OS X Core Audio Compile Problem

Topic actions

Reply 61 of 66, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Dominus, @Qbix - thanks for the sanity checks and adding more helper-information!

Fantastic to hear the build actually runs and support PCM sound, with expectedly no Core MIDI support: although maybe the OpenSoundSystem (OSS) MIDI interface is still available on OS X?

Indeed, for end-users, release builds are still going to be purely built by Clang. If GCC manages to produce a significantly faster binary, it might be interesting to Mac users on old/slow hardware to play non-MIDI games.

The big win is gaining GCC coverage within the MACOSX code branches, minus the snip of CoreMIDI.

• GCC's performance profiler (gcov)
  • GCC's dynamic analyzers such as threaded race conditions and address issues such as out of bounds use, double free, and leak checks, which Clang's analyzer currently does not catch.

Reply 62 of 66, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

AFAIK OSS has gone away a long time ago.

The gcc build was only faster by 2 fps with PCPbench and only on one test 😀

My feeling was that the building via clang is significantly faster, though. But I didn't time that

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 63 of 66, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

AFAIK OSS has gone away a long time ago.

I suppose Apple had to muster more courage and bravery to kill off their *unix-compatible MIDI interface 🤣 (https://www.macworld.com/article/3387148/appl … right-move.html)

Dominus wrote:

The gcc build was only faster by 2 fps with PCPbench

Ahhh.. good to know!

Yeah; Clang is usually faster at building when using comparable GCC flags. Some Clang flags do take significantly longer through, like enabling the memory sanitizer; but that's fine. It's the value that it brings that counts.

Reply 64 of 66, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anything else you guys think is worth checking or changing? I'm not sure who or how one renames a thread [solved], or if it involves permission or confirmation from the OP. Will be nice to wrap up this issue.

Edit: sorry for the haste; I just remembered Qbix wanted to add a helpful warning suggested by Dominus. Will help test that on my side when ready.