VOGONS

First post, by WilliamC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've decided to make my own SVN build. This has taken about three hours yesterday in setting up a compilation environment. So, anyway, I enabled a bunch of options that will likely make it run things faster, SSE2 for one, OpenMP and compiled for speed over size. I also compressed the DLLs and the Executables using UPX. As far as I can tell it runs all games flawlessly and it does seem faster. http://www.mediafire.com/?6blb6lo66fig9qq

Reply 1 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I was wondering when I read it on irc, but why the need to compress? It's 2012, everyone can spare the 3 (or maybe 4) MB it saves. And the download won't matter, too, since the whole thing is compressed anyway...

Other than that, the more svn builds the merrier 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 10, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Compression poses several problems if you're offering an SVN build and DosBox's binary isn't all that huge.
For example: antivirus programs don't really trust compressed binaries a lot lately.

Reply 4 of 10, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WilliamC wrote:

I did it because it speeds up load time. Also, I checked it out if it caused false positives and it does not.

Well...that IS weird (speeding up load times).
Did you check with every antivirus?

Reply 5 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It doesn't really matter if it is NOW not a false positive. Upx stuff gets readded all the time...
How *can* load times be better? It has to load the file from the harddrive and only then is it in memory. How did you measure this?

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

And what about the speed? How does it fare against other svn builds?

Reply 9 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

That's quite some gain 😉

Reply 10 of 10, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bloodbat wrote:
WilliamC wrote:

I did it because it speeds up load time.

Well...that IS weird (speeding up load times).

Hard disk bandwidth is so low, compared to RAM, that it is almost always faster to load a compressed file and uncompress it in RAM. I don't know if it is also valid for SSDs.

That being said, the difference should not be perceptible for such a small file, and indeed, according to WilliamC, it isn't.