VOGONS

First post, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Forgive me if this has been anwered before, but I've searched and found no answer to the issue:

I've noticed that video playback from image files (both bin/cue and iso) causes sound skipping every few seconds, as long as I set cycles=max. I've tried several games, all with the same result: Wing Commander 3 & 4, Tomb Raider and Warcraft 2, along with official DOSBox 0.74 as well as ykhwong's latest SVN build (20130205), and a vanilla dosbox.conf (generated with "config -writeconf").

So far, I found only two solutions:
1. use a fixed cycle setting low enough so it doesn't hit cpu limit (e.g. 10000), or
2. set prebuffer=50 (or above).

Both solutions are bad performance-wise: quite obviously when it comes to fixed cycles, but the larger prebuffer also has a major impact, at least on weaker systems (In my case an Intel Atom netbook @1.6 GHz, a Celeron notebook @1.7 GHz, and a Core2Duo notebook @2.26 GHz). One is running Windows XP, the other two Windows 8.
I can provide further system specs, but I don't think the problem's hardware related, as it's the same on a variety of different systems, even on the various Android ports (all based on 0.74).

Has anyone experienced the same, and is there another fix? Or am I missing something obvious?

Thanks in advance!

"What's a paladin?!"

Reply 1 of 4, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have run into this quite often, and I simply have to set a cycle max. I usually go for around 60k, which is probably overkill, but the game plays great and it stops skipping.

Reply 2 of 4, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you for the reply, but that's exactly the problem: I need to set cycles=max or even max=105% for these games to run properly on my netbook (I'm using DOSBox mostly while travelling, and the other two notebooks are too heavy to carry around all the time). I have to set fixed cycles as low as 10000 or 15000 to prevent sound skipping, but then WC3 becomes unplayable.

The only workaround so far is to use ykhwong's build and change cycles via the inbuilt menu bar, but that isn't very convenient. And I'd rather use "normal" DOSBox, if possible.

Well, if that's the only solution, I'll have to stick with it... 🙁

"What's a paladin?!"

Reply 4 of 4, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep, didn't work either. I've also tried "auto 50000 100% limit 50000".

Funny I've never really noticed that before... but then again, I used to run DOSBox mostly on a more powerful desktop pc in the past. 🙄

"What's a paladin?!"