VOGONS

First post, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any plan to implement similiar MT2GM or GM2MT mapping as the one available in VDMSound? It sounds to me that DOSBox MIDI implementation doesn't currently perform such mapping, as Music from Roland/MT-32 options from a few games that I tested(GODS, G-Force, XWing etc.) sound quite different from General MIDI (if this option available) or from VDMSound with mt2gm.map used. My MIDI device is GM/GS.

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 1, by Magamo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is a one-up to that idea in the works, sir. If you look under the MT-32 Emulation section of the VOGONS forum, you'll find links to a version of Dos Box with an MT-32 emulator enabled. It currently needs an MT-32 PCM ROM, which is not in distribution due to a copyright dispute with Roland, though.

Thanks to Canadacow, Vlad and Snover for their work on that emulator. I've not tried it myself, due to the fact that I do not possess a ROM, or have means of procuring one, but the mp3/ogg vorbis output I've heard from it sounds remarkably good.

Here's hoping that the MT-32 emu can make it into Dos Box normal releases again, as it seemed to be on track to before the copyright dispute started.