VOGONS

First post, by tyreal90

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello there,

First, thank you for any help. We were directed here from one of our members on the RetroPie forum. We have gotten windows 95 to run through the dosbox that comes stock with the RetroPie operating system for raspberry pi. We are having tremendous trouble with the graphics drivers and it is limiting what we can emulate. We would like to compile the powerful dosbox-daum for the ARMv7 architecture so that we can emulate a PCI slot and Vodoo card (we think this will solve our driver problems). So I've looked at compiling dosbox on windows wiki and I was wondering, how would it work using the GCC on the raspberry Pi's Jessie OS? I've never compiled before so I am a complete noob but I really appreciate the help if you could point me in the right direction.

The author of dosbox daum provides the source code at this site: http://ykhwong.x-y.net/
Our thread from the retropie forums is here: https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/9169/windows-95/17

If we are successful then we could open the 35$ computer to do a decent emulation of old greats like half-life, roller coaster tycoon and starcraft and that would be cool.

Thank you again for the help.

TLDR - How do you compile dosbox using GCC instead of the usual windows programs?

Reply 1 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You may have been misdirected, as discussion of getting Windows 95 running in DOSBox is generally discouraged here since it is beyond the current scope of the project. The "powerful dosbox-daum" build has also been broken for quite some time now (i.e. the latest version seems to have numerous problems) and further development of that particular branch seems increasingly unlikely as time passes.

I've never compiled before so I am a complete noob

It probably compiles mostly the same way anything else does, and there's no shortage of information out there about how to compile programs. Why don't you see what you can figure out on your own, and come back here if you have specific questions?

If we are successful then we could open the 35$ computer to do a decent emulation of old greats like half-life, roller coaster tycoon and starcraft and that would be cool.

If this was an especially feasible way of doing so, someone probably would have done it already.

Reply 2 of 9, by tyreal90

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you so much for the quick reply Jorpho. It is clear that we are probably not on the right forum to find this sort of help. I apologize if I was not clear in my original post but I wanted to clarify some of my earlier statements.

We do have a working Windows95 build right now that boots through retropie's dosbox but it appears to not have good support for the video drivers. Windows 3.1 games are fine but it doesn't do 256 color mode well. It may not be easy but I would certainly call where we are at now feasible and where we want to go feasible as well. Along these lines do you know of video drivers for the machine=svga_s3 that align well with the emulation that dosbox 0.74 produces? Are there other machine types that you prefer for your higher level emulation?

I call the daum build powerful not for the way it is programmed but for the power of computer hardware that it can emulate. Do you know of any SVNs that have advanced feature support for demanding titles? (opengl, pci bus, vodoo emulation etc) It's likely that I don't know what people prefer to use on this forum for demanding games and there very well could be better alternatives.

Lastly, thank you again for listening. I will look other places, but if you have a good answer to the above questions I'd love to hear it.

Reply 3 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows 3.1 games are fine but it doesn't do 256 color mode well.

Windows 3.1 works fine in DOSBox and there are guides in the forum here about how to set it up. I have no idea what "it doesn't do 256 color mode well" is supposed to mean, but if you're trying to use the latest daum build, that could easily be the cause of your problems.

Along these lines do you know of video drivers for the machine=svga_s3 on pi that align well with the emulation that vanilla dosbox produces?

I don't know what this means either. The video driver requirements of DOSBox are generally the same regardless of the "machine" setting.

Reply 4 of 9, by tyreal90

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i will browse the forum for guides to video drivers for 3.1. i appreciate the idea. It crashes once we go to 256 color mode due to the incompatibility of the drivers we have tried so far. It is on the dosbox that was recompiled for raspberry pi currently. Im not sure but it may be a derivative of fastdosbox.

As to the 2nd point. I thought machinetype changed the video card that is being emulated. With win95 there is the problem of having it "not detect" your drivers and forcing you to start over. Thank you for the help!

Reply 5 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tyreal90 wrote:

It crashes once we go to 256 color mode

That sounds more like "it doesn't work at all" rather than "it doesn't work 'well'".

Im not sure but it may be a derivative of fastdosbox.

It doesn't look like anyone's mentioned that here in the last three years. I may be mistaken, but most people asking about DOSBox on the Pi lately are referring to the version included with RetroArch (which at least is derived from a recent version of the official DOSBox SVN).

As to the 2nd point. I thought machinetype changed the video card that is being emulated.

It can do a number of things. I thought you were referring to whatever drivers were being used by Jessie OS (or whatever the operating system on the Pi is).

Reply 6 of 9, by tyreal90

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That sounds more like "it doesn't work at all" rather than "it doesn't work 'well'".

Haha point well taken. I just wanted to count a successful boot up as a partial success.

It doesn't look like anyone's mentioned that here in the last three years. I may be mistaken, but most people asking about DOSBox on the Pi lately are referring to the version included with RetroArch (which at least is derived from a recent version of the official DOSBox SVN).

ah yes. that sounds more correct. When the pi first came out the only game in town was a version of fast dos box.

Thank you for the help. I'm finding some new drivers for dosbox win 3.1 that may be able to make our Win95 build work. I'm happy to have found the forum 😎

Reply 8 of 9, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Come on, i play Doom totally smoothly in my pi 3, even Quake 3 Arena works and is playable...

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.