VOGONS

First post, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Apologies if everyone knows about this, but there's a script by "gs11" on GitHub for building a 64-bit version of SVN - completely automated and very impressive:

https://github.com/gs11/dosbox-macbuild

As far as I can tell, the one thing it can't do is build a static-linked executable that can be used on systems without sdl installed. I've filed an issue about that, and I hope there's some chance it can be done. Dominus worked out a method for building static-linked SVN in macOS, but I haven't been able to make his method work with this script.

Reply 2 of 4, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

you really shouldn't have anything in /usr/lib that Apple didn't put there. That is asking for trouble with every package manager and things like this script.

As for the script, be aware that this is a bare bone Dosbox. No SDL_net, no SDL_Sound, no libpng. So networked gaming won't work, image mounting is crippled and no screenshot support.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 4, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

you really shouldn't have anything in /usr/lib that Apple didn't put there. That is asking for trouble with every package manager and things like this script.

As for the script, be aware that this is a bare bone Dosbox. No SDL_net, no SDL_Sound, no libpng. So networked gaming won't work, image mounting is crippled and no screenshot support.

Yes, and since I don't even remember how I got that stuff into /usr/lib, it's really time to get rid of it.

And yes, it's a barebones DOSBox. But it may be possible to add SDL_net and SDL_sound, etc. using the same method that it already adds SDL. I'll try this next week and will report back.

Reply 4 of 4, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yes, should be easy to add all that (just remember for SDL_Sound for DOSBox you also need ogg/vorbis - bit none of the other dependencies of SDL_Sound).

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper