VOGONS

First post, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When I compare the Dosbox recordings I find on Youtube of Megarace soundtracks and compare them to my (UniPCemu's) cycle-accurate OPL2 emulation, some sound effects sound completely different, e.g. some blubbery high tones and echoes within songs like Maeva?

Is this a bug in UniPCemu, or is the oplemu Dosbox uses simply inaccurate on those?

Author of the UniPCemu emulator.
UniPCemu Git repository
UniPCemu for Android, Windows, PSP, Vita and Switch on itch.io

Reply 1 of 5, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You're better off comparing against Nuked OPL. It has far more fidelity to real OPL hardware.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3 of 5, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oddly enough, it's probably either a Dosbox bug, or a OPL3 incompatibility with OPL2? My own emulator is itself based on some OPL2 reverse engineering reports and produces audio in a cycle-accurate way(sampling rate of exactly 14.31818MHz divided by 288, then downsampled&filtered to 44.1kHz).

The only thing that's floating point in my case(not based on the integer logic of the original chip) is the basic timing that drives the oscillators(floating point that drives the sinus lookup tables by converting timing to phase as input to the ROM quarter-sinus lookup tables). After that, it's all the original digital logic.

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 4 of 5, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The odd thing is:
1. I don't own a OPL2 adlib myself(nor can use it on my modern PC i7 mobo afaik).
2. All recordings I can find of the Megarace soundtracks are either from a YMF272-compatible clone or straight Dosbox recordings. So those don't count, do they? I need actual recordings from a OPL2(YM3812) chip.

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 5 of 5, by nukeykt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Differences between OPL2 and OPL3 in OPL2 mode are quite subtle and are not audible. Also DOSBox default OPL core does things closer to OPL2 rather than OPL3.