VOGONS

First post, by Danfun64

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If anybody wanted a (win32) build of DosBox ECE with the NE2000 patch implemented, but isn't tech savvy enough to compile it themselves, here it is. The zip I am linking to contains the .exe and (IIRC) ALL required .dll's. Note that it requires that you install winpcap/win10pcap/npcap (for modern computers I recommend npcap in winpcap mode).

edit # 3: Updated to r4168

ORIGINAL POST: I'm trying to install libpcap into msys2/mingw-w64 so I can compile Dosbox ECE with the NE2000 patch added. Unfortunately, libpcap isn't available in the msys2 repositories in any form. No matter what I try (extracting the NPCap SDK or the old WinPCap equivalent...not both at once of course), I get "checking for pcap_open_live in -lpcap... no". Is it impossible to compile with MinGW-W64 using libpcap?

Last edited by Danfun64 on 2018-10-29, 22:42. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 1 of 15, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the error sounds like you need to check in config.log to see what is actually happening.
At first glance you don't have the -L and -I setup correctly for configure to find the files you installed. or a version difference

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 15, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Make sure you are using i686 build of MSYS2/MinGW-w64. The winpcap developer's pack does not include x64 libs in lib.a format.
I was able to build DOSBox SVN with NE2000 patch + winpcap last time. However, I found that it was not very stable, so I gave up maintaining such build myself. That was with the old MSYS/MinGW from MinGW.org.
The GCC linker "-l" requires libs in lib.a format. For eg. -lpcap requires libpcap.a to be in the libs search path. However, the winpcap developer's pack only has libwpcap.a. So I guess you either need to rename the lib.a or change the configure script to use -lwpcap.

Reply 4 of 15, by Danfun64

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was going to compile the i686 build anyway because I was under the impression the dynamic compiler was only for x86...but yeah, renaming the .lib file to something MSYS2 would recognize appeared to do the trick. I'll let you know if it compiles correctly.

edit: What is the latest version of SDL_Sound that fully supports SDL 1.2?

edit: Compiled and runs successfully. Biggest issue I had was that ldd didn't list all the DLL's I needed, so I had to get Process Explorer. I'll upload my build sometime today.

edit: here it is, a build of DosBox ECE r4074 with NE2000 support (note that it is NOT compiled with SDL_Sound support, as I don't know what the last version that fully supports SDL 1.2 is.) You'll need to install Npcap in order for this to work, which can be found here

Reply 5 of 15, by Danfun64

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bump. Basically, my problem with SDL_Sound is that the newest versions don't work with SDL 1.2 at all (at one point hardcoding an expectation of a specific SDL2 version or newer) but the latest "release" version (as of this writing 1.0.3) fully supports SDL 1.2...but doesn't work with modern compilers. I was hoping that somebody knew what the last working commit was that fully supported SDL 1.2 .

On a side note, my build of DosBox ECE r4141 with NE2000 support: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MUpvGUozS4x … lj2KSprYa_Jut7w

edit: Part of my problem was that at one point that I was doing all this the Icculus website was down. I think I found the version I need (the Stable 1.0 branch of the Mercurial repository)

edit: Oh dear. Can somebody tell me what went wrong here? http://paste.debian.net/1039946/

Reply 6 of 15, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check out the patch I have for SDL_sound 1.0.3.
Here's the source tar I used:
https://www.icculus.org/SDL_sound/downloads/S … nd-1.0.3.tar.gz

For MSYS2/MinGW-w64, you need to change the line -
+ if (SearchPath(NULL,"msys-1.0.dll",NULL,255,buf,NULL)) {
to:
+ if (SearchPath(NULL,"msys-2.0.dll",NULL,255,buf,NULL)) {

This enables relative search path from msys-2.0.dll (which is in /usr/bin) to have the timidity patchsets in /usr/local/share.

In SDL_sound-1.0.3/playsound/physfsrwops.h, __EXPORT__ is undefined. You want to add:
#ifndef __EXPORT__
#define __EXPORT__
#endif

Attachments

• Filename
    patch_SDL_sound.txt
    File size
    4.3 KiB
    Downloads
    152 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 15, by Danfun64

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

TY. I'll see how it goes. However, due to a several year difference between SDL_sound 1.0.3 and the release-1.0 branch, I'd like to get the latter one working on my system.

edit: aaaaaaaaaaand I get errors. http://paste.debian.net/1040041/

Reply 10 of 15, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can you check the instructions in the DOSBox compilation guide threat on my Google Drive in my signature?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 11 of 15, by Danfun64

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ozdiLn1.png
There was no need to threaten me. ;P (At least, I'm assuming that's a typo)

Anyways, I tried your SDL_sound download, and when I tried to compile it, I got this: http://paste.debian.net/1040305/

Reply 12 of 15, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm confused are you using SDL1.2 or SDL2? If you aren't using physfs then disable it.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 15 of 15, by Danfun64

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

...I think an update to the msys2 repositories broke libpcap support... or .lib support.....or something.

Attachments

• Filename
    config.log
    File size
    69.37 KiB
    Downloads
    169 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception