VOGONS

First post, by FenixNBK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

DOSbox 0.74 has a banner that I don't like upon start. v0.71 doesn't.
I would love to have this configurable in future. (0.75) or removed like in 0.71.

Also Linux version doesn't seem to auto-create dosbox.conf, while Windows version does. (In Windows the setup handles this)
I would love to see Dosbox auto-generate this file on first run in Linux /home/$user directory

Thanks,
-Technologov

Reply 2 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you mean the logo that flashes on start then you'll have to modify the DOSBox code and recompile. It was put in for a reason. It's been there for about a decade now.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 9, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The logo was added because companies were selling DOSBox (as part of other products) without acknowledgement. So making it configurable would be counterproductive to its existence.

This is a direct quote from the source code:

/* Please leave the Splash screen stuff in working order in DOSBox. We spend a lot of time making DOSBox. */

Reply 5 of 9, by Kisai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jmarsh wrote:
The logo was added because companies were selling DOSBox (as part of other products) without acknowledgement. So making it confi […]
Show full quote

The logo was added because companies were selling DOSBox (as part of other products) without acknowledgement. So making it configurable would be counterproductive to its existence.

This is a direct quote from the source code:

/* Please leave the Splash screen stuff in working order in DOSBox. We spend a lot of time making DOSBox. */

IMO, perhaps it's time to update it with an intentional 3 second boot delay, it barely stays on my screen that it barely registers. And that's on the non-SSD drive.

Reply 8 of 9, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hell, I hardly notice it running DosBox under Debian 8 in my P166MMX.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 9 of 9, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kisai wrote:

It's displayed for 600ms with the last 100ms fading out. That's blink-and-you-miss-it speed.

And yet people still complain about it!

When I was working on my wii build I never saw it either due to the tv mode changes taking too long to settle, so I replaced the wait with the virtual memory initialisation.