VOGONS

First post, by kreibich

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I have a big storage of ISO files and hard disk images for DOSBox on HTTP and FTP server. The problem is that I always have to download these big files before I can use them. I would like to mount them remotely, so it will just download the exact small part it needs so it will be much faster to load without any need to store it localy. It would also be great for JS port of DOSBox, so web emulators (running on client's side) would not need to download hundreds of MB of whole images. Is it possible to add this feature to mount / imgmount?

Thank you.

Reply 2 of 5, by kreibich

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
_Rob wrote on 2020-06-25, 11:22:

Make your server serve out an actual remote filesystem, such as SMB/CIFS or NFS, and mount that on the client.

Well, it might work for desktop version, but it's impossible for JavaScript version of DOSBox. JS has no access to mount local disk drives and it's also platform dependent.

Reply 4 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If "your" files are on a http or FTP server then it can also serve up NFS or SMB. If the server is on the Internet then that's your problem, either setup a local copy or VPN to your server.

I doubt that individual demos, freeware and shareware DOS games served via javascript are anywhere near hundreds of megabytes. As for so called "abandonware" we don't care about that here.

AFAIK, the javascript versions of DOSBox cache on purpose otherwise there would be even more complaints. If you want streaming then you need to talk to archive.org or the game companies to put the games up on a streaming service.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 5, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2020-06-25, 13:50:

I doubt that individual demos, freeware and shareware DOS games served via javascript are anywhere near hundreds of megabytes. As for so called "abandonware" we don't care about that here.

AFAIK, the javascript versions of DOSBox cache on purpose otherwise there would be even more complaints. If you want streaming then you need to talk to archive.org or the game companies to put the games up on a streaming service.

Archive.org actually downloads a zip file with the game when your playing a "Stream only" game.

In chrome, find a "Stream only" game, and before starting the game, press F12 to open the Developer Tools. In the Developer Tools, make sure your on the "Network" tab, and now press the circular power button to start the game and watch the downloads. One of the files it will download will be a ZIP file with the actual game. And it even does this for large CD-ROM games which can take a considerable time to download.