VOGONS

Windows 3.1 in 256 colours

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 63 of 93, by madcrow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What's all this about the S3 emulation not being capable of 1024x768x256c? I'm using the standard 0.73 S3 emulations, with the S3 drivers linked from the Win3.x tutorial and I'm using 1024x768x256c in Windows 3.11. Am I just lucky or are some people just plain stuck in the past?

Reply 65 of 93, by arromdee3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To the person who managed to get 64K colors, exactly what settings did you use? I tried Dosbox 0.74, machine=svga_et4000, and in Windows setup, selecting "S3 868 1.41B5 640x480 64K colors". Trying to do this failed and a second Windows setup told me it couldn't initialize the display; using VGA succeeded. Is Windows 3.11 specifically required and not 3.1?

I am trying to run the Windows 3.1 version of Daedelus Encounter, which uses 64K colors.

Reply 67 of 93, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One thing to consider would be that certain DOSBox builds support setting a VGA memory size. Using one of these builds with more memory than specified in the default configuration may enable higher resolution/color-modes to be utilized. Unsure regarding failures of 8b color modes though, as they should fit in default memory up to 1024x768 without issue.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 69 of 93, by arromdee3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Because I didn't have any documentation that told me that wasn't the right card to use?

Anyway, I was able to install it (using the 864141b5.zip driver) by installing as VGA and then doing setup after that to set it to S3 at 64K colors. It refused to install as S3 directly.

This still gives me problems, however:

1) Dosbox won't scale the screen. In particular, if I select a 64K color mode or a 32K color mode, and run Dosbox in fullscreen, it gives me a tiny 640x480 section in the middle of the 1280x1024 monitor. The Windows splash screen will properly scale (by a factor of 2). Dos games will also properly scale. Windows will scale *if* I choose VGA or 256 color S3, but it won't scale if I choose 64K color S3. It looks strange when I start Windows because the splash screen comes up, properly scaled, and then Windows itself comes up without scaling. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with Windows at all--does Dosbox scale with 64K color mode at all?

Relevant Dosbox settings are:

fulldouble=true
fullresolution=1280x1024
windowresolution=640x480
output=overlay
machine=svga_s3
aspect=true
scaler=normal2x

2) Playing Daedalus Encounter requites Quicktime. It comes with Quicktime 2.01. Quicktime 2.01 looks like it's installing, then tells me that isnatllation is incomplete and I should delete any files that were copied. Checking windows\system shows me that even though it gave me a progress bar showing that files were copied, no files were actually copied.

I see that someone else was able to install this under No sound with Daedalus encounter and am wondering what I did differently.

I finally managed to install it by getting a newer version (2.12)--for some reason it gave me problems once, but when I started from scratch I was able to get it to work with the game.

3) I now get the same problem described in the earlier message: errors about mmSound.

Reply 70 of 93, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Because I didn't have any documentation that told me that wasn't the right card to use?

using the driver of one brand with another is just plain *not thinking* or would you use an AMD graphics driver for a Nvidia graphics card?
The windows .1 dosbox guide does mention which driver to use for each emulated graphics card.
I'll remember to write something about the quicktime installer...

Scaler: have you used forced scaling?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 72 of 93, by arromdee3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

using the driver of one brand with another is just plain *not thinking*

How was I supposed to know that the driver wasn't for the same brand? Chipsets have different names from companies all the time, so it wasn't an obvious mistake. It was entirely plausible that the whole set from s3 to tseng was a single family of cards with different names. It turned out not to be true, but given that I know nothing about these cards it was a completely reasonable assumption to make. Yeah, I could have eventually found out by Googling it, but if I googled every single thing I didn't understand in the configuration I'd never get anywhere--it's not practical to not make at least some assumptions.

Remember that not everyone knows this stuff. [/quote]

Reply 78 of 93, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Nah, too much fun going off topic. At least I tried two times to give advice with the forced scaler...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 79 of 93, by arromdee3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I managed to fix the sound problem by setting the sound to sb16 and installing the SB16/AWE32 drivers from Creative (the SB16 drivers that are bundled with the DOS drivers do *not* work), so I've now got it more working than the guy in the other thread.

The forced scaler, needless to say, doesn't help, so it looks like my only option is to wait for a new Dosbox that fixes the bug (or use 640x480 and put up with the screen stretching that you get when you tell most 1280x1024 monitors to go into 640x480 mode). Is this something that is likely to get fixed?