VOGONS

First post, by sniperhgy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried to execute the statement "imgmount c windows95.img -t hdd -ide 1m", get the error message "The image must be on a host or local drive.", also tried to add the full path to the iso file. I can make sure the file does exist, could some one teach me how to do it? Thank you.

cap1.JPG
Filename
cap1.JPG
File size
56.24 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
cap2.JPG
Filename
cap2.JPG
File size
54.86 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The same statement can execute succesfully in DOSBOX SVN - DAUM.

Reply 1 of 5, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you want to run Win9x, and have support for niceties like CD-ROM support, then have a look at DOSBox-X instead. There are instructions on the DOSBox-X Wiki on how to install various Windows version.

Right now, depending on your host system, it can be a bit slow for late era Win9x games, since you need to run with core=normal. But there is active development to improve the dynamic core to allow it to run Win9x which will improve matters.

Reply 2 of 5, by sniperhgy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
_Rob wrote on 2021-01-17, 17:18:

If you want to run Win9x, and have support for niceties like CD-ROM support, then have a look at DOSBox-X instead. There are instructions on the DOSBox-X Wiki on how to install various Windows version.

Right now, depending on your host system, it can be a bit slow for late era Win9x games, since you need to run with core=normal. But there is active development to improve the dynamic core to allow it to run Win9x which will improve matters.

Hi _Rob, thank you for your reply, will take a shot on DOSBOX-X, but I still want to know why I can't execute imgmount in DOSBOX ECE.

Reply 3 of 5, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you remove the "-ide 1m" parameter, it should work. I don't know if the -ide parameter is supported by ECE. It is not listed on the dosbox wiki https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/IMGMOUNT

Assuming the filesystem inside the img file is supported (fat16) and created by DOS 5.0 or later (including Win9x), it should just mount. If it is a newer FAT32 filesystem, you will have to use the "-fs none" option, and specify the disk geometry.

DOSBox-X supports FAT32 and does not need such tricks.

Reply 4 of 5, by sniperhgy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
_Rob wrote on 2021-01-18, 08:31:

If you remove the "-ide 1m" parameter, it should work. I don't know if the -ide parameter is supported by ECE. It is not listed on the dosbox wiki https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/IMGMOUNT

Assuming the filesystem inside the img file is supported (fat16) and created by DOS 5.0 or later (including Win9x), it should just mount. If it is a newer FAT32 filesystem, you will have to use the "-fs none" option, and specify the disk geometry.

DOSBox-X supports FAT32 and does not need such tricks.

Finally I give up the DOSBOX ECE and use the DOSBOX-X version, it works well, thank you very much for the suggestion.

Reply 5 of 5, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
_Rob wrote on 2021-01-18, 08:31:

If SVN doesn't support it, then ECE doesn't neither. Else I would have mentioned it in the additional features.

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)