VOGONS

SVGA choice

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know were you got such an impression because the posts pertaining to the idea were fine and dandy. Try reading them. I even kept it civil when I responded to dosfreak's mild flamebait-ish post by explaining rather than a rabid bite, and then you blew into town with two barrels of high n' mighty righteousness. Maybe you're young, a non-native english speaker, poor reading comprehension, or just had some bad coffee, whatever the case, you've misread the situation.

Oh, and it wasn't infered that you couldn't post here.

Reply 21 of 31, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe you're young, a non-native english speaker, poor reading comprehension, or just had some bad coffee, whatever the case, you've misread the situation.

You see, it's shit like that, that insults ME.
I've kept this civil, so why can't you ?

I can't even believe you have the balls to have a pop at dosfreak, when you post shit like that ?

I have been on and around this forum for 3 years, for crying out loud.
Ask Paul, of Glidos, or Colin, one of the moderators. I've helped in many a situation when Glidos needed some testing, and gave out plenty of help to others. But I've NEVER told Paul, or Dege, that THEIR software is doing the wrong thing, and emulating the wrong hardware.

I mean, for FUCK sake, I'm 35. I've been into computers and games since 1976. I've owned almost every piece of hardware out there (and still do), and played almost every damn videogame out there.
I have had a PC since 1993, and been building and supporting them since 1997, and still do.

You arrogant fuck. Who the hell do you think you are telling ME about my English skills ? Or my comprehension of a post ?
Am I writing a friggin English essay on "How to be English" ?
Or am I posting in an open forum, in my own spare time, where punctuation and spelling isn't the key issue, here ?

I'm sorry mods, to go off like that. I'm normally a nice person 😉
But that patronising post, just pissed me off !!

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 22 of 31, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Read it again. The sentence was I kept it civil when I responded to dosfreak. You, who entered this thread swinging blind, are another matter. The gloves have been progressively coming off. No one's talking about your writing skills, it's your apparent lack of reading that's the problem. No one has told Qbix etal that they are doing THEIR GPL'd open project(another bit you're misunderstanding) wrong or that they're doing the wrong hardware, but arguing FOR another piece of hardware. If you've read this thread at all or correctly read what people had posted, you'd understand that. The closest anyone has come to what you're saying is when vasyl said it wasn't the best choice, but he said that in the context of arguing for the card he thought was a better choice and then proceeded to give an explanation as to why he thought it was better. He didn't shit on Canadacow's s3 emulation. What does this quote from his first post tell you? "adding support for some other chipsets." The answer should be: in addition to. and this quote "Please don't think I am critisizing anything". It's his point blank declaration that the his critique is not to critisize(and if you read his posts it would be clear even which out such a declaration.) Most of his posts are him discussing his debugging and hacking his own additions. My posts on the topic were giving links, curious what canadacow's opinion is, and that I'd hack at et4k emulation myself if no one else(canadacow) were game. My other posts being the one to dosfreak and the rest dealing with you. I imagine you know your own posts, I've already gone over dosfreak's response, and the rest were cordial responses pertaining to the subject. Now, who the arrogant hell fuck do I think I am telling you about your English skills? I'm the one giving a synopsys of this thread because you, for whatever reason, either didn't read it or grok it yourself.

Reply 23 of 31, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Please, gentlement, try to calm down a little.... (If you need to insult each other, use PM)

This thread is becoming slightly embarrasing...

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 24 of 31, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

eL_PuSHeR: Agreed...

Getting back on topic: I think it would be totally reasonable and desirable to modularize the code for emulating various SVGA chipsets so that the user can select one in the dosbox.conf file, just like you can now with sound hardware. This would allow running demos and testing cross-chipset compatability of old pre-VESA SuperVGA games and demos.

Thinking long-term, we'll want to be able to do this to facilitate emulation of even newer hardware such as 3dfx cards (once desktop hardware and the sophistication of DOSBox reach a level that makes this feasable)

Reply 25 of 31, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is there any benefit right now for selecting an S3 optimized mode if a game has one? Tekwar3D has S3, Tseng, and Paradise modes......I'm not sure if there was a speed difference between standard and S3 though.

Reply 26 of 31, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Would the game actually require the emulated video card to be a voodoo card or could the emulation actually just forward the Glide calls to the hosts Glide to OGL driver using the S3 card?

I believe it's as the above because when I last tried the DosBox with Glide (EDIT - Sorry meant Glide not GliDos) it still used the S3, I'll check and see if I still have the binary.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2005-04-05, 10:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 27 of 31, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd think that Glidos is the wrong one to target. I think DOSBOX would do better to forward Glide commands to something like this Glide emulator which works just amazingly well for Wing Commander Prophecy and many other Windows Glide games. The thing is DOSBOX is running within Windows and thus Glidos isn't running in its native world....

Although I could be wrong, and Glidos runs a lot of DOS Glide games so maybe it should be retooled. However, Glidos isn't free while DOSBOX is so that's sorta a conflict of interest.

Reply 28 of 31, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll leave that debate for such time as it becomes more relevant 😉 Taking advantage of OpenGL in some way would probably be the most desirable route, and maybe by then DOSBox will be able to adapt some worthy open-source Glide-to-OpenGL emulator/wrapper that will exist by then.

Reply 29 of 31, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I've spent less than 3 hours this evening trying some of my ideas and checking my assumptions. Got simplistic module for et4k, functional enough to fool whatvga, that Eric game, and partially Deluxe Paint IIe. So, here's my plan: I will mess with it and if and when I get it to the condition that I will not be embarassed to show my code I will submit a patch for review. Ideally, it should work exactly like sound selection. It is fairly easy to get the first 3/4 of functionality from simpler chipsets (like et4k). I will have to dig for better test cases. Any good source of demos, preferrably those known problematic for DOSBox?

Reply 30 of 31, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

* This is getting even more interesting *

Although we are looking into DOSBox future (maybe a near future), your later suggestions seem very promising.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 31 of 31, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

I'll leave that debate for such time as it becomes more relevant 😉 Taking advantage of OpenGL in some way would probably be the most desirable route, and maybe by then DOSBox will be able to adapt some worthy open-source Glide-to-OpenGL emulator/wrapper that will exist by then.

MAME already have an excellent Voodoo emulation, or so I've read.

vasyl, sounds very neat 😀 Good luck with the project 😀