VOGONS

Dosbox 64 bit mode some day?

Topic actions

First post, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now that I have my AMD 64 3000+, and with the upcoming Windows XP 64bit I've been wondering if Dosbox could be converted to 64 bit which would see a drastic (50% easily if other programs are to go by) increase in performance on 64 bit OS and CPU.

It could be the answer for the late 90s DOS games for owners of high end hardware - so are there plans for a 64bit version? Would it be hard to do?

Reply 2 of 24, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well it has been confirmed by several sources - Windows XP 64 has already been released as warez (final version RC2) and the few 64 bit programs already here often give even more than 50%. Example: one program had a benchmark of 130, 64 bit version had 240.

So the potential is there.

Reply 3 of 24, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well dosbox runs allready on 64 bit platforms.

Windows isn;t the only os out there 😀

but dosbox has allready been tested on win64 bit as well and it seems to work.

Not that much speed to gain though. as we emulate a 386 which was a lot of less bits. so we acces the bits in the same way.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 24, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Too bad, I was hoping it would make a big difference in cycles. Still, I can do 20000 cycles easily now instead of 15000 which I had before with my new CPU, which makes a lot of the later DOS games playable.

Reply 5 of 24, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The "bittedness" isn't so much the big advantage. Often the biggest advantage for performance for regular users (i.e. don't need dozens of gigs'o'RAM) is the added registers. It lets programmers tune their progs to have faster access to more pieces of critical data. Whether this can help DOSBOX, I have no idea.....

Reply 6 of 24, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As a user of Windows XP x64 (public beta), I can tell you that DOSBox runs great in Win64 as is. In fact it seems to have a lower CPU load than in 32 bit Windows on the same machine with the same game and dosbox.config settings.

Reply 8 of 24, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well some stuff inside dosbox will benifit from it. Probably the graphics conversions and such.

and maybe it will be more effiecient. Anyway do you use the 32 bits version of dosbox ? or do you use a selfcompiled 64 bits version ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 9 of 24, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I believe in order to get any speed improvement (beyond the o/s eating less resources) you would need to optimize the code for 64 bit...not just "make it" 64 bit. Thats why many programs don't see an increase while others can get a 30% boost. Game companies actually rewrite parts of their games to make them work much better on 64 bit o/s (ut2k3, upcoming far cry 64)

Reply 10 of 24, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I believe in order to get any speed improvement (beyond the o/s eating less resources) you would need to optimize the code for 64 bit...not just "make it" 64 bit.

Just nit-picking - I don't think it is a question of optimizing the code. It is about optimizing the data 😉

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 11 of 24, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I know one thing - my AMD 64 3000+ gives a BIG speed boost in DOSBOX compared to my old 2500+. And I mean, BIG. I can play Tomb Raider for christ sake! Really smoothly most of the time too.

The only game so far that's still too slow (that I tried) is Azrael's Tear - which is too bad cos I paid a small fortune for it.

I'm really glad Star Trek A Final Unity works so smoothly now though - only problem is the mouse that's reaaaaally slooooooooow.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 12 of 24, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I use DOSBOX exclusively on my A64 3000+ notebook. I admit it does run very good, but I haven't tried anything else. Some games do still push it to the limit though, like Dark Forces. It depends on what nasty optimization tricks the game used since most of these tricks deoptimize DOSBOX (lol).

TIE Fighter SVGA and the Crusader games run very well though. TIE especially likes dynamic core while Crusader is another that seems to be optimized to hell so it works best with normal core.

I haven't tried Tomb Raider though. That's got to be crazy demanding though. I didn't even know it was DOS!

Reply 13 of 24, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Please don't insult DOS like that. TR was made for DOS, it is not DOS....I don't care how great TR is IT WILL NEVER BE DOS!!! NEEEEEEEEEEEVVVVVEEEEEEERRRRRRR!!!!! 😁

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 15 of 24, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am only using 32 bit versions of DOSBox (.63 and various CVS builds). Generally, XP x64 seems faster and more stable than 32 bit XP. Now if we could just get more drivers for it. I guess that it will be like the release of 2k where there weren't drivers available for a lot of hardware, out side of the real basic drivers included on the CD.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 16 of 24, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, it's basically the fact that Windows XP 64 isn't really a major consumer OS. Your helped a bit by the fact that it's pretty much the same OS as 2003 64 but still it's a pretty niche OS. XP 64 was pretty much just released for crying out loud. Driver developers have a list of priorities just like any other programmer and I doubt that programming 64bit drivers on an OS used by %1 of the Windows market is very high on the list.......

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 17 of 24, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
collector wrote:

I am only using 32 bit versions of DOSBox (.63 and various CVS builds). Generally, XP x64 seems faster and more stable than 32 bit XP.

I agree with you. Running the stock 32bit DOSBox under XP x64 I usually see a smaller load on the CPU. I did some tests yesterday running The 7th Guest with some saved games and got:

• XP 32: DOSBox at 30,000 cycles using 25 to 45% of CPU, with peaks up to 55%;
  • XP x64: DOSBox at 30,000 cycles using 15 to 40% of CPU, rarely going above 50%.

Now I'm trying to test it under Gentoo Linux compiled for 64 bits, but I have to make alsa work first.

[edited for clarity]

Last edited by MajorGrubert on 2005-04-13, 13:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Major Grubert

Athlon 64 3200+/Asus K8V-X/1GB DDR400/GeForce FX 5700/SB Live! 5.1

Reply 18 of 24, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red_avatar wrote:

Well I know one thing - my AMD 64 3000+ gives a BIG speed boost in DOSBOX compared to my old 2500+. And I mean, BIG. I can play Tomb Raider for christ sake! Really smoothly most of the time too.

The only game so far that's still too slow (that I tried) is Azrael's Tear - which is too bad cos I paid a small fortune for it.

I'm really glad Star Trek A Final Unity works so smoothly now though - only problem is the mouse that's reaaaaally slooooooooow.

I think your mistaking the fact that AMD64 can do 32bit code as well. Of course the CPU is faster, but its not using anything 64-bit to help out with speed 😉 You need a 64 bit O/S "and" software to get the full effect of the speed boost.

But yes, I know about AMD's speed 😁 I have an FX-53 and dosbox can fly.